Model Cars Magazine Forum

what was your first model

what was the first model you ever built and what happened to it, mine was a 95 eclipse from the fast and the furious and im turning it into a gasser. tell us about yours

i think it was the old fifties ford ranchero or one of the caprices cant remember the ford met the garbage can and i played with the caprices till they fell apart ;)

my first model was a 26 ford sedan delivery back in 83. i hand painted every part after i built it all up lol. came out pretty messy but cool for a 8yr old kid at the same time ;) i dont know what happened to it. but i found one in a hobby shop about 2yrs ago still in the plastic. but still haven't built it. one day lol

post-7444-0-52312000-1293400155_thumb.jp

Edited by ROB213

Mine was the Revell Mustang Super Stallion. Im only 18 so thats what they had out when I was a kid. Put it together with rubber cement and brushed on testors red paint. I remember wondering why it looked so bad. No clue what happened to it, it was in my basement for the longest.

Edited by JPR

My first model cars came from my cousin who was older than me.

When we used to visit my aunt and uncle in Detroit, he would have a whole bunch of the old AMT kits with the wild box art in his closet, and he would give me a couple to play with.

The boxes were covered is spray paint. It was way cool. :)

My first real car I built by myself was a Corvette, and I remember it was way too complicated for me.

I think it was an AMT kit..

Edited by imatt88

Hi, I'm brand new here,so hello everybody,anyway saw this topic and really made me think back.I just remember a class member brought a homebuilt hot rod made from his spare parts to show and tell and I thought that was the coolest thing I had ever seen.Needless to say I'm all in at that point.I might be older than some here,but it had to be early 60's.First kit had to be AMT T coupe.

I have answered this question a couple of times hre on M C M , but here goes for yet, another go round . It was 1961 and A M T had teamed up with Ford to do a national model contest of sorts . You were to go to a Ford dealer with you're folks if you wern't licenced to drive and pick up a FREE A M T model kit . The deal was , you brought it back and then entered it in a Local contest . Each 1st place winner then advanced to a Regional location and so-on.

I received a 1961 Ford Thunderbird convertable . It was one of A M T's first "Annnuals " with an engine . heres a scan of the instruction sheet as I lost the origional model during a hurricane in 1973.

ThunderbirdStylineKitAMT5-vi.jpg

ThunderbirdStylineKitAMT4-vi.jpg

ThunderbirdStylineKitAMT-vi.jpg

Ed Shaver

The very first was the 55 (?) Buick from Revell, built somewhere in the late 50's for me by my Dad. My Mother helped me build Hubley's Metropolitan sometime prior to 62. The AMT 40 Ford Coupe was the first I built on my own. It holds special memories for me still today and is one of my all time favorite kits.

My first kit was a Hawk Mercedes 190SL. That was about 50 years ago. The second kit was a Monogram 2.5 Ton army truck. I couldn't read the words on the instruction sheets, so I got help from my mom. By the time I could read, the instructions only had numbers. Now they've got so many different languages they take half a tree to make!

My first model car was an aurora 1/32 shiften drifter roadster pickup which i still have in the box in a million peices .Mum brought it for me when i was in primary school for hobby class in ?????????????????? 1969 ?????? Gee thats a long time ago ! I customized it by putting chrome hubcaps on it !oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh . Yer no paint,but CHROME hubcaps ! :lol: