Model Cars Magazine Forum

• 3 weeks later...

Nope the barrels, as well as the tank looking contraptions on the right fender, are spare fuel tanks. These were/are diesels so it was decided since the diesel fuel wasn't quite as volatile as gasoline, extra could be carried externally. The cylinder under the barrels is where the the cleaning rods for the main gun are stored, I think. On occasion these held the radio antennas, depending on the version.

Yeah, right. Who in the wide wide world of sports wants to ride in this beast, carting flammable liquids around for everyone to shoot at? Russians! Jeez

My time as a grunt working beside tanks proved I was right about one thing. I CAN run faster scared than they can shoot. Besides I can get real low real fast. :lol:

BTW The exhausts are the rectangular openings in the fenders towards the rear above the fourth and fifth roadwheels.

The log is a log. Should this beastie get highsided while rumbling over a mound, hillock, or enemy position the log was used to "unditch" the tank. What they did was latch the log between the tracks behind the tank. Then the driver put this puppy in reverse and slowly backed up. The log went under the tank, contacted whatever the tank was hung up on, and in theory, helped push the tank back off whatever object it was stuck on.

Since this T 55 weighed about 45/50 tons loaded, it was problematic at best. This was a hold over from earlier times when tanks didn't weigh as much.

This was NOT something done by the US anytime after WWI.

So endeth todays history lesson.

G

Edited by AgentG

Thank You Wayne, THAT was informative! I ALWAYS thought those were the muffling system. WHO woulda EVER put fuel tanks COMPLETELY exposed on a Combat Vehicle!!! THAT'S just ONE reason there is NO LONGER a Soviet Union. Yeeesh!

No problem... if anyone tried to mess with their fuel tanks they would beat them off with that log! :)

Between WWI and WWII all the nations developed some form of strategy concerning armored forces. The Russkies took a long look at their huge country and realized no vehicle could effectively be refueled in a timely manner. It was decreed therefore all armored vehicles, tanks, were to carry some form of external storage.

To this day you will find the mounts for those fuel drums mounted on even the most modern variants of Russian armor.

G