Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airbruch question?

hi All,

I've just recieved a Badger 150 airbrush from a friend.he has had it for along time.its never been used and it came with all the parts in a gift box.my question is.it paints but when you press the button down it not just air its paint to.I've adjusted the adjustment screw that is on top of the airbrush..its adjusted all the way out and still it puts paint out....what is wrong? TIA Thanks to all for any help,Chris

Hey Chris,

I have a 150, not to contradict Shane, but it is dual action. If you can get a schematic, make sure all parts are there, also make sure needle is seated properly (far enough forward in the brush). Badger is great about customer service and manuals if you need either. Shane is right about the trigger to a point, pushing down is air only, slowly pulling back mixes paint with air, try to keep the trigger depressed to keep the air always flowing (and also to blow last little bit of dust off of what you are getting ready to paint) and draw back to add paint as needed. Try just shooting water on a piece of cardboard to get used to flow and pattern. There is also a Teflon bearing that may not be seated correctly, I just had mine re-done last year, send it off the Badger and they will service it, has lifetime warranty. Hope this helps a little.

Mike

Edited by bigmikevee

150 is a dual-action. Sounds like the needle is not fully seated, take the brush apart at the back, loosen the screw around the needle, and push the needle as far forward into the airbrush body as possible so the very tip of it fully seats in the "closed" position, then re-tighten the screw around the needle in back, and replace the cover. Read the parts manual, learn how to assemble/disassemble it, and start practicing!

Ditto everything already said.

In addition CLEAN everything. Find out what paint type your friend used then take her apart and give all the parts a good soaking, especially the tip. Check the needle and make sure it's not bent.

Laquer thinner is a good start for stripping enamels, laquers and acrylics from the brush. This will effect the seals over time so be careful to keep them out of it.

You can use Windex, windshield washer fluid, or alcohol for acrylic build up, but you must rinse with water as these will pit brass parts.

Get some airbrush lube and follow instructions as you put it back together. That little valve the trigger rests on can and will stick.

G

150 is a dual-action. Sounds like the needle is not fully seated, take the brush apart at the back, loosen the screw around the needle, and push the needle as far forward into the airbrush body as possible so the very tip of it fully seats in the "closed" position, then re-tighten the screw around the needle in back, and replace the cover. Read the parts manual, learn how to assemble/disassemble it, and start practicing!

+1

Also a 150 owner.

This is what I would guess is the problem. The needle is not seated all the way when the trigger is on the stop.

My apologise, I'm thinking of the 200 then. Didnt meen to miss lead you. You might also check to make sure the tip and needle are matched in size, if it came with more then one set.

No problem Shane.thanks for the info and trying,thank,Chris

Thanks Bob,that worked.it now is up and working doing the job it is suppose to do.Thanks for the info,Chris

Glad it worked for you :D

A word of advice for this particular airbrush; the needle/head assembly are relatively "closed", paint tends to build up a little around the tip of the needle and the surrounding head. Normally you spray in one direction, let off, spray in the other direction, let off, etc. Every time you let off the trigger and then start it again, you generally get a small "blip" of buildup that dislodges and lands on your paintjob. What you might think is dust/dirt in your paint is from the airbrush itself. When spraying a body w/the 150, either don't let up while spraying, just keep the paint flowing as you make the passes over the body. If you do let off, don't aim the airbrush at the body when you start the flow again, and you'll eliminate a lot of "nits" in the body. Learned this the hard way...:)

Actually, it's a good idea for any airbrush, but the 150 is by far the most sensitive to that paint buildup and it does it consistently, but it may happen to any airbrush.

Hey Chris,

Bob's last post was right on target, the 150 is a great airbrush, but has a couple of quirks. Always start spraying off to the side of your model, and don't release the paint until you have passed the other side, as starting/stopping on your work can make it "spit", for lack of a more sophisticated term. Also, and this comes straight from the good folks at Badger, once you depress the trigger to start the air, leave it depressed, then just draw back to control flow of paint, when done, let trigger go forward, but keep the air flowing the whole time you are painting. Use the air to keep the tip from clogging and also, get in the habit of making a couple of quick passes over your project the second before you start the paint flowing, it knocks off that last little bit of dust, and makes a bit of a difference. Takes awhile to get used to holding down the trigger, but once you get used to it and see the benefits (plus less dust bunnies) it will become second nature. Now, go have some fun!!

Mike