Model Cars Magazine Forum

A TRUE scratchbuilder

That is amazing. However, I don't think you should say that about some people who say they scratchbuilt something looking stupid. There are plenty of others who scratchbuild, not quite as much, but they are still scratchbuilders.

STewart

That is talented work and a great looking build.

It does go to show that you can make most anything just by putting basic shapes together. The roof looks like about the only piece more carved than basic building blocks.

Granted that sure is some Amazing Scratch building.

But there is some amazing Scratch building going on in the BigBoyz section too with a

person totally scratch building a 1/12 Oshkosh t1500 ARFF fire rescue rig.

A lot of people that do Large scale building build from Scratch or just start off with One

model part and go from there. :(

I think our own Tim A. is an AMAZING MODELER as well with all the Pete stuff he does as well as making the masters for the casters to do. Matt (monkeyclaw) is another one with his 1/16 scale items, especially his latest--the "yellow" engine. Tony is another master in hobby as well. The Bitners are a great father & son team that scratch some "amazing" stuff as well, without the use of a CNC machine. Shall I continue?

I can only hope one day to achieve the level that they have, but I do have certain limitations, so I will continue on as I can, when I can.

Jerry, the level of building demonstrated is far and above my level of building. I could only wish to have the patience (eyesight too) for that level of chassis detail.

Tim

I think our own Tim A. is an AMAZING MODELER as well with all the Pete stuff he does as well as making the masters for the casters to do. Matt (monkeyclaw) is another one with his 1/16 scale items, especially his latest--the "yellow" engine. Tony is another master in hobby as well. The Bitners are a great father & son team that scratch some "amazing" stuff as well, without the use of a CNC machine. Shall I continue?

I can only hope one day to achieve the level that they have, but I do have certain limitations, so I will continue on as I can, when I can.

That is amazing. However, I don't think you should say that about some people who say they scratchbuilt something looking stupid. There are plenty of others who scratchbuild, not quite as much, but they are still scratchbuilders.

STewart

I agree with you Stewart

Scratch building is scratch building.

And the guy's that build like that are exstream builders.

That is some great work.

I agree with you Stewart

Scratch building is scratch building.

And the guy's that build like that are exstream builders.

That is some great work.

The sort of building that you study and hope to learn from.

I have to agree with you guys. I am trying every time to do my best.

I have already throw away many sheets of plastic because I was disapointed from the end result. But every time I am doing the same thing, I am starting from the begin. I am not afraid to scrap some styrene and I am always fighting to reach at least what I want to replicate and of course I am investing money to buy tools, that will help me the next time to built something else more easy and correct. My latest tool was a dremel multi tool that I bought last week. I am trying also to invert my tools.

Kostas.

Edited by Kostas

I personally don't see what's so special about this build? It's nice but I have seen many other builds that have much more work into them and are entirely scratch built, This truck has several parts from kits. I'm not knocking his work, it's very nice but I have seen much, much better! There are some construction equipment models out there that would make this look like a snap together!

Jerry, the level of building demonstrated is far and above my level of building. I could only wish to have the patience (eyesight too) for that level of chassis detail.

Tim

Same here,Think well going too do this and that then my patience runs out the door. Also having trouble with the fine detail now a day's.

I like to scratch build because it takes me to another level in my skills personally.

Not to outdo anyone else.It's just a good challenge for myself.

I built a 69 Camaro 1/12 scale Independent Rear Suspension that is still not finished.

It is not perfect but it sure looks cool.

I personally don't see what's so special about this build? It's nice but I have seen many other builds that have much more work into them and are entirely scratch built, This truck has several parts from kits. I'm not knocking his work, it's very nice but I have seen much, much better! There are some construction equipment models out there that would make this look like a snap together!

Would have to agree Ben,

Here is something that is a true scratch build in every sense of the word, by a master craftsman, and he sure is a clever man

My link

Ben, he made his own tires! Don't hate.

Ben, he made his own tires! Don't hate.

I don't know what tires your looking at but in the pictures of it being built, he has the Italeri rubber tires on it and the completed model has the older Italeri two piece, styrene tires. He may have copied the hard two piece tires into rubber resin but they are not made from scratch.

I'm not hatin by any means, I think he did a great job, but for the author of the post to claim that others who use the term "scratch built" look stupid, really should do some research and see what other master modelers are out there that truly build completely from scratch with no kit parts whatsoever.

I don't know what tires your looking at but in the pictures of it being built, he has the Italeri rubber tires on it and the completed model has the older Italeri two piece, styrene tires. He may have copied the hard two piece tires into rubber resin but they are not made from scratch.

04092010686.jpg

01092010670.jpg

02092010674.jpg

Furthermore...

15052010179.jpg

19052010198.jpg

27052010282.jpg

I don't know, nor have I ever met this guy, but he does have "skeels"

Just because you may perceive someone else to have better skills, does not diminish someone else's. talents.

My

two%20cents.jpg

My initial post was not an attack on the builder in any way. I stated a couple times that I thought his work was very nice. My response was geared towards the original author of the thread in stating that I have seen much more complex builds from builders who do use the term "scratch built" and their models are fully scratch built in every sense of the word!

I can see that this builder is very accomplished. His work is very nice. However, I have seen many other models that go far beyond this particular truck's level of detail.

Now, even with knowing of models that exceed the level of detail that I see in this build, I'm not going to go find the pictures of one of the builds I refer too, and then state that anyone that does not build to the level of THAT model, shouldn't use the term "scratch built".

• 2 weeks later...

There are some construction equipment models out there that would make this look like a snap together!

http://forum.truckmodelworld.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=5545&p=3

200520112331.jpg