Model Cars Magazine Forum

Using #80 drill bits

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if there was a tip or technique that anyone uses to keep from bending or breaking the smaller precision drill bits. Especially the #80 drill bits. I always wind up putting too much pressure on them I guess. They wind up bent or broke. I am currently trying to drill out for the valve cover t-bolts on a 66 GTO. Any help would be appreciated.

Like he said...

They don't need much pressure. This works for me. Try stickin' the part down with double stick tape or mountin' it somehow so you can use both hands on the pin vice.

I'm right handed so I hold the pin vice steady on the swivel top of it with my left pointer finger and turn it with my right pointer finger and thumb.

Smokey

I start by inserting it far into the chuck so only what I need shows. It will flex less the shorter it is.

As said, it doesn't take much pressure for these small bits to penetrate, so you hardly have to press it.

I pay most attention to keeping everything straight and aligned as I twist the drill. When I need to stop I release the part if it's a small one. Even an engine block won't break the bit but I keep it all vertical anyway.

I use the point of a new #11 to create a starter point in the plastic. Like using a ######-punch when using 1:1 drills. Stops the #80 from sliding and squirming which breaks them.

The software thinks I'm using a bad word but it's the name of a tool.... B)

Edited by Cato

i put the drill bit in as far as possible. but i have some that dont go in far enough. so i cut the shank end a bit shorter. this helps me out. but im sure the better vises you shouldnt have to do this..

cato, i think i know which you are refering to. it the one that starts with a P and end with a K. i can see why it does that..lols just call it a P-punch. im sure other will figure it out.

cato, i think i know which you are refering to. it the one that starts with a P and end with a K. i can see why it does that..lols just call it a P-punch. im sure other will figure it out.

i have no clue on what it could be...could i buy a vowel please?

A couple of the guys have told you the right answer.

Very thin drill bits don't have much material there... remember, the diameter of the bit is one thing, there's actually much less material there because of the spiral cut.

The trick, as stated, is to chuck the bit so that only as much of the bit that you need to get through whatever you're drilling is showing. The shorter the exposed part of the bit, the better. And let the bit do the work... it takes very little pressure to snap those small bits. I know, because I've done it more times than I want to admit to!

If it's a new bit it helps to dull the sharp edge a tiny bit,, it's great to have a nice sharp bit for metal ,, but not plastic,, it will bite too hard

these bits are ground sharp and at an angle ideal for metal.. but yeah choking up on it would help a whole lot