Model Cars Magazine Forum

My first kitbash in progress!

Hey folks! Thought I'd share my progress so far on a kitbash I've been working on. The primary donor was a Lindburg Dodge Dakota. I also used the front clip from a Revelle Magnum, and various parts from other kits as well, including a Charger and Ferarri Enzo.....

dakotabash1.jpg

Obviously, some bondo and a lot of sanding and shaping was required.....

dakotabash2.jpg

The 1:1 Dakota's hood opens separately from the fender lines, so I built up the underside of the fender creases, then took them back down to emphasize the hood as appearing separate. I used an Uptown Charger SRT hood since the scoop was the same as a 2007 Dakota RT hood scoop.I had to extend it to meet the grille, and reshape some things...

093.jpg

currently have the piece in a silicone mold which is curing. I'm attempting to cast copies in case anyone else is interested in this truck's body style. It's not a 100% accurate match to my 1:1, but it's a lot closer than the Gen 2 Dakota style was in stock trim. Here's a pic of an '07 RT in 1:1 scale...

myrttruck.jpg

The bumper has more of an "underbite" on the real thing, and the lines of the hood stop a little shorter in width as well, but making this was a lot of fun and I'm pretty happy with the results.

Let me know what you guys think so far!

post-7726-0-09710200-1311815492_thumb.jp

post-7726-0-75029500-1311816010_thumb.jp

post-7726-0-57349400-1311816284_thumb.jp

Edited by Larryhagmansliver

hey man, this is pretty cool. keep up the good work.

do you do that as a hobby or do you also take orders??

I'd say its a hobby right now, but I'm not opposed to selling or trading. It's only my second attempt ever at casting anything, so it's not like I'll be putting modelhaus out of business anytime soon, LOL.

I put a listing for one up on ebay just to see what kind of interest I get, but I may post one up here on the "swap, trade, or free" section

Looks pretty good to me too! I'd be interested if you offer one for trade. LMK please & thanks

Joe

Hi Joe - I'll need to cast a few more, then I will certainly list it for trade. I only made 3 copies - one that I just painted for my own use, one that I listed on ebay for giggles, and the last one someone else on the forum already inquired about trading for. No biggie though- I just need to sneak a trip to Hobby Lobby for more resin when the wifes not looking!

Jose, I just used Alumilite resin for the casting. It comes out pretty good if you swish it around the mold and wait just until before it starts to harden to put the second piece of the mold in. Like I said, Im still new to this, so i'll be my own worst critic and point out a couple of things that needed work on the casting that I started painting for my own model....

resinedit.jpg

Its not perfect, but I've purchased some resin stuff that needed a lot more work to finish. I find it particularly annoying when there are "warts" all over a casting from air bubbles that need to be filed off. I was very happy that I didn't have that problem with these.

Edited by Larryhagmansliver

Here's another neat little tidbit I'm working on for my truck;

The 1998-2003 taillights look like this, which is what comes in the lindberg kit....

BlueTails3.jpg

The 2005 & up taillights look like this....

4.jpg

Here's what I did...

001-1.jpg

..basically, I just took the stock lights from the kit and glued ferarri enzo taillights on top of them. I tried to cast this as well, but unfortunately it wouldnt reproduce right.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Seeing how well this one was turning out has led me to go back and redo another vehicle that I was trying to fabricate a few months back but gave up on. Turns out I just had the wrong donor in mind for it. Once I get a little further I'll put that up here too.

On a side note; I'm discovering that I'm not a very good painter. Since I was trying to emulate my 1:1, I used the Model Master 2 part system for the paint and I'm not too proud of the results. I really got spoiled by Testors One Coat quick dry Laquer. Only problem is they only do metallics in that line. Why is that?

BTW - here's my 1:1...

001-2.jpg

I may want to come up with something for the camper top for the model. Any suggestions?