Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sunbeam Tiger 427

antonesv

FWIY: I'm watching live coverage of the Mecum auto auction from Kissimee and a 427 Tiger just rolled across the block! It was Red w/ Silver stripes and a Beige top riding on Gold Minilite-style rims with KILLER rubber. It also had a Tremec 6 spd., 9" w/ 3:50 gears, and fuel injection. They are rolling cars on & off screen before the final bids are completed. This reached $55K the last I saw it...

I had a 1:1 Alpine when I lived in Wi. . We squeezed a High Performane 289 out of a rusted out Fairlane 500XL into it. never got it streetable. traded it for 6 305 Hondas 3 Hawks, 2 Scramblers and 1 dream!

What year was the Dream? My dad has a '65 305 Dream. Someday I'll get it from him.

Later-

• 1 year later...

Here's the auction link for the 427 Tiger.

http://mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=FL0112-121235

The 427 in the auction car is actually a stroked small block (that's what the Windsor designation means) whereas the one in the model is representing a big block. HOWEVER, those 427 stroker motors can be violently powerful and if built right would put a stock big block 427 in a sock not to mention that they would be a LOT lighter. Still, I would love to own either car in 1:1.

That looks stunning! Can't wait to seeing more - this and the other current Tiger thread are the only ones I've seen of this kit.

Btw, what wheels & tyres are you using? The tyres look like the wider ones from the kit, but they are very wide - if it is these, did you need to modify the inner wheelarches to get them to fit?