Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gloss For Your Eyes

Dr. Cranky

When I asked the Old Man the other day what he was working on, I got nothing but silence so I figured he'd drowned in a vat of gloss varnish, then yesterday the Blitzkrieg started, and so I am delighted to share how Mr. Donn Yost is rocking the house in 2012.

dy1-vi.jpg

dy16-vi.jpg

dy14-vi.jpg

dy15-vi.jpg

WoW all of those are sick man. I especially like the Purple and the last one. How in the workld do you guys paint that smooth and shiny

Stephen, these are Donn Yost's models that he paints, often spending weeks painting bodies and later assembling them. He has a couple of wonderful DVDs that explain his methods and he guarantees success. I've tried it and love it.

If you are interested, you can find out more here: http://www.oldmansmodels.com/

Stephen, these are Donn Yost's models that he paints, often spending weeks painting bodies and later assembling them. He has a couple of wonderful DVDs that explain his methods and he guarantees success. I've tried it and love it.

If you are interested, you can find out more here: http://www.oldmansmodels.com/

Thanks very much Doc. Any info and all resources I can get my hands on will helpful.

Sure thing, and you should know that Donn Yost is a member of this forum and he often goes out of his way to answer questions about his methods, techniques, applications.

Oh, and BTW, welcome to the forum. You are going to enjoy being here.

Thanks Doc. Donn those paints are immaculate. All of these cars on this forum have made me get the ole AirBrush and knives back out and get back into the hobby.

Thanks Doc. Donn those paints are immaculate. All of these cars on this forum have made me get the ole AirBrush and knives back out and get back into the hobby.

That's how we all got back into the hobby, chap. All it takes is for you to see something that triggers that old feeling of wanting to build again. Most of us have returned after a long hiatus because of real life responsibilities. But tell you what, once you get back in it and build and share here, you are going to have a hobby for a life time!

Jelly beans! :lol: :lol: :lol:

That almost sounds like a challenge to get the Old Man to build something rusty and weathered!

I dunno about you , since you turned 50 , you're an even more persistent cuss ! Lol !

Now ! You have the pictures of what I was up to back in the fall , right ? Mmmmn , all weathered , not one shiny subject to be seen , if I remember correctly !

Besides , as an arteest , I am in my shiny period ! Bwahahahaha ! What a crock that is ? Eh ?

Soon , Doc , soon , one rusted and weathered piece that I'll have Shiny Jim screaming in pain!

Guys ,

Thanks for the compliments , they are greatly appreciated !

Tony , the Hudson belongs to a customer , the colors were what he chose . When I first painted the car , I wasn't too sure about the combination. The jury was out until I applied the bare metal foil , wow , it simply brought it all together !

As to foiling the Hudson , sheesh ! What a project !

Several of the cars had the Pearl X powders used on the top coats , I can't praise them enough ! They are a pure joy to work with , and I'm having a blast coming up with new colors and variations . I recommend them to anyone and everyone !

What impressed me the most about them , Virgil , was the size of the flake and the ease in which they lay down .

Simply change the shade of the base coat , let alone the color , and you have a wide range of colors beyond the imagination ! I've discovered more by accident rather than design , believe me !

I will be sending you more pictures of some of

the other pieces in a day or so . Working on the Mustang today , replacing a header gasket , it sucks ! Rather be in the booth today , but gotta keep up with the big toys too !

Cool, buddy, keep the eye candy headed our way.

I've been looking up other uses for those Pearl Ex powders in particular with the Jacquard paint lines which are widely used in hobbies and crafts. The metallic effects are always gorgeous.

It's this kind of search that led me to CRACKLE PAINT, which is something I've been experimenting with lately to create faux snake skin.

Thank heavens for those cheap plastic spoons! ;)