Model Cars Magazine Forum

62 Chevy Impala 4 door

ShawnS

Hi guys, this is one that I started a while ago and I'm looking for some motivation to kick start it again. It's AMTs 62 Impala convertible with a modified roof from a 63 Impala. I am going to replicate a famous Aussie race car from the 60's. It will have the 409 under the hood and a bench seat up front. Here is what it looks like these days.

beecheytank2.jpg

p1030857.jpg

p1030858w.jpg

p1030859s.jpg

I made the interior door panels before finding out that it had power windows so one of those cranks will have to come off and replaced with switches.

p1030860k.jpg

The seats were the point at which the project stalled. I tried to replicate the ribbed pattern that AMTs Impala seats have but it came out looking too clumsy. When Revell released their 62 recently I noticed that the ribbed pattern were decals which looks more like it should. As the Revell decals won't match the seats that I am making it looks like I will have to make my own decals. What do you guys think?

p1030861k.jpg

I think I'll end up remaking the seat any way because I'm not happy with the top of it. I don't think there is enough space between the top of the seat and the rectangular pattern.

It's been a while since I started this but I feel If I can get the seats sorted out, I can quickly finish it.

Cheers

ShawnS

Shawn, you've done an incredible job on the body and the door panels! It's been so long since I've seen a '62 Impala's bench seat I can't recall if that one is accurate or not, but it looks great as-is. :wub:

Do you plan on having this cast, because I'm sure there are some people who want a 4-door '62 out there!

Thanks Dr Cranky it's good to be here. I'm slowly finding my way around and I'll contribute more as time goes on

Shawn, you've done an incredible job on the body and the door panels! It's been so long since I've seen a '62 Impala's bench seat I can't recall if that one is accurate or not, but it looks great as-is. :wub:

Do you plan on having this cast, because I'm sure there are some people who want a 4-door '62 out there!

Thanks Mike. Nah, I won't be casting this one. Too much hassle.

Here are the induction options that I am considering. The carbs are resin casts of an AMT (Nascar?) carb that I found in my spares box and the air filters will be MCG items.

Dual inline normal manifold.

p1030863dr.jpg

Dual inline Hi-rise manifold

p1030864.jpg

Dual cross manifold

p1030862y.jpg

I don't have any references as which system the real car ran in the 60's but recent pics show both the cross and the regular inline manifold have been fitted in the last 20 years. I'm not realy fussed but if there are any Chev experts who would know which of the three is the optimum road race setup please feel free to share your knowledge.

The Impala isn't the only American 4 door that I am building at the moment. Here is a sneak preview of a 63 Galaxie in progress.

p1030852a.jpg

I'm still pondering these builds and am keen to get them going again after my current project.

Cheers

ShawnS