Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Ford Torino E/Stock Eliminator

W-409

Re those Cragar SS's in the Torino kit, they are wrong for the Ford, yes they are nice but those are in fact for the small bolt circle "A" body platform Chryslers .. Duster, Dart, Cuda, Valint and, re the Cuda, that is pre 1970 before it switch to the "E" body platform. So if you use those Cragars in the Torino kit on anything other than what I mentioned, it would be wrong.

Alan

Funny you should mention this , as their bolt pattern was the first thing I noticed about them !

I worked with someone whose daily driver was a 1970 Swinger 340 . He bought the car new in late '69 , and used it as his daily driver from day one .

He added the Cragar S/S wheels in 1972 ; said they were difficult to find even back then !

That stupid , frustrating 5x4 bolt pattern plagued "A" bodies from their intro in 1960 , through at least 1972 (Slant Six , drum brake cars had that stupid pattern through 1975 !) , with the 1968 Hurst-Hemi twins being the only exception.

Such an odd artifact that R-M would supply these exclusive-to-Chrysler-A-Bodies-bolt-pattern wheels in a Ford kit !

Hey, another fellow who "gets it" ............You can imagine my surprize when that kit came out and I saw those, a nice surprize indeed, I will take errors like that in a kit anytime !!! You never know what photos the designers and kit engineers are referencing when they draft this stuff LOL

Alan :)

PS Niko, you CAN use those wheels on Dart and pre 70 Cudas just NOT the Hemi versions of those cars ....

Oh yes, so Hemi versions had different wheels, thanks for that correction!

Not much time spent on modeling now, but I managed to get that engine primered. Here's a picture of that engine block, I have other parts primered too, and hopefully I can spray some blue over them soon.

P2120289.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Larry, needs to check it out. I painted the engine block and other engine parts with spray can before going to Paris. I haven't been looking of those parts yet, how they look when dry, so I maybe have to clearcoat those parts before assembly.

P2190377.jpg

After carefully examining the Cragar wheel from the Torino kit and a photo of an actual small bolt pattern 14"x6" A body Cragar, I would have to say that the kit wheel is close to an A body wheel where it could be used to represent that particular rim but it also different enough where it could be used as a standard 15" x 7" large bolt pattern wheel. Here they are together. Look at where the spokes meet the rim and the width of rim section where the spokes "attach". Judge for youself.

CragarSS-vi.jpg

No one but Alan would notice anyway! :rolleyes:

WF

I do remember that kit had a nice set as well. Wonder what Alan thinks of them. LOL

:lol: :lol:

Some more progress with the Torino, I assembled cylinder heads and intake manifold and oil pan. Transmission is also painted. I removed fuel pump from that timing chain cover, and I will make one electric fuel pump later, but that part is now ready for primer and blue paint.

P3010046.jpg

P3010047.jpg

P3010029.jpg

P3010030.jpg

What do I think of the AMT 66 Nova Cragars, they are decent .... THE most acurate are the ones that came in the Johan 69 AMX ..... I can say this because I actually OWN Cragar SS wheels, along with several others. Like I said I am glad some of you get it, the others that get offended or giggle and make silly comments ... well what can I say ......

Coming along nicely Niko ........ A helpfull tip Niko, when you get to the chassis, don't forget the driveshaft loop that is located at the front of the driveshaft .... rules state so many inches from trans tail shaft .... Most builds I have seen with this so very important detail , more times than not are wrong and placed at the rear, and what good is that? ......... But we won't get into details because of the obvious here ....

Alan

Edited by Alan

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Alan! The Driveshaft loop will be glued on both, front and rear. ;)

I FINALLY managed to remember and primer that timing chain cover. It turned out pretty good, only those ejector pin marks need to be removed. Then I'm going to paint it blue, and start assembling the engine.

P3170284.jpg

Edited by W-409

One of the nicest Cragar S/S wheels can be found in the AMT 65 Chevelle Wagon or their El Camino kit. They even have the nice S/S engraving on the center caps.

Just remember it's YOUR model, build it the way you want to!

Edited by fastram

Thanks, I will pick that new kit of Chevelle Wagon too, hopefully those Gragar wheels are still inside that box. What El Camino kit you mean? The 65 Camino? And yes, it's my model, and I build it just like I want, but these Stockers are something, what need to be realistic. But no, I wasn't gonna use those Gragars in this build anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Since the Nova build is slowly getting there (having problems with the hood), I'm going to move my inspiration on this one. Today I removed the gas tank from the chassis, I will install Jazz tank later, when I have filled that hole. Gas Tank left off easily with a motor tool.

P4120010.jpg

P4120012.jpg

Funny you should mention this , as their bolt pattern was the first thing I noticed about them !

I worked with someone whose daily driver was a 1970 Swinger 340 . He bought the car new in late '69 , and used it as his daily driver from day one .

He added the Cragar S/S wheels in 1972 ; said they were difficult to find even back then !

That stupid , frustrating 5x4 bolt pattern plagued "A" bodies from their intro in 1960 , through at least 1972 (Slant Six , drum brake cars had that stupid pattern through 1975 !) , with the 1968 Hurst-Hemi twins being the only exception.

Such an odd artifact that R-M would supply these exclusive-to-Chrysler-A-Bodies-bolt-pattern wheels in a Ford kit !

Adding to what You have said, Way up to 68 or 69 model darts the lug nuts on the passengers side screwed turning to the left instead of the regular screw on turning to the right. Wow, If I remember that I must be old, right?? :D

:lol: :lol: Thanks Fellas!

Wheels are painted silver, I guess they need some paint for the center caps, though. But otherwise they look good, and especially the quality of those resin parts was perfect.

P4130031.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm finally back on this one too, and I was working on the chassis. I filled that hole on the chassis, and had to make smaller hole on that piece of plastic too, because of the Gas Tank. Gas Tank (or the part if it what can be seen from underside of the car) is built from styrene and after I glued everything together, I added some MMD's Green Putty. After some sanding, the chassis looks like this. It needs lots of more work still, and that Gas Tank needs some details too, but it's slowly getting there.

P5110357.jpg

P5110358.jpg

And I started adding spark plug wires too...

P5110360.jpg