Model Cars Magazine Forum

Using figures in dioramas....

Mister Twister

Great thread, and wonderful eye candy, everyone.

I like to think that figures give dioramas another angle, another story-telling capability. And I have they say they are a blast to play around with, including creating a lot of discussion in the magazines the way this did way back:

Scan10017-vi.jpg

Scan10037-vi.jpg

Another Ken Hamilton production, of course, where he shows how much fun one can have with figures . . . just on this side of the Law! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm a big fan of using figures in dioramas. If there is machinery in a diorama then there should be operators. I've often wondered why someone would model a garage with no oone around. Its like everyday is a stat holiday. Even those diorelics rotting in some fence corner should have some vermin or birds in the neibourhood. One exception could be Doc's toxic dumps :)

I'm not a great figure painter but I do try to include them in almost alll of my dioramas. I try to make them part of the story line.

DSCN2579.jpg

DSCN2041.jpg

GIS-LOOKINGNWTROMPOLE.jpg

But then again it is a hobby and we should build dios the way we like them.

Thanks

Carl

I'm a big fan of using figures in dioramas. If there is machinery in a diorama then there should be operators. I've often wondered why someone would model a garage with no oone around. Its like everyday is a stat holiday. Even those diorelics rotting in some fence corner should have some vermin or birds in the neibourhood. One exception could be Doc's toxic dumps :)

I'm not a great figure painter but I do try to include them in almost alll of my dioramas. I try to make them part of the story line.

DSCN2579.jpg

DSCN2041.jpg

GIS-LOOKINGNWTROMPOLE.jpg

But then again it is a hobby and we should build dios the way we like them.

Thanks

Carl

Wow those dioramas are cool ...got any more pics of them ....

I think the most difficult part of figure painting is the faces and other "fleshy" parts of the body. Clothes are fairly easy but trying to get realistic flesh tones, hair lines and eyes, etc........ that's the tough part. I've seen painted figures with great clothing, but the faces look like a blank, pink, plastic stare with absolutely no sign of life. I've noticed a lot of diorama photos have the figures placed with their backs, or top of the head, toward the camera and this helps the illusion greatly. Having the figures in semi shadow also helps.

Figures are definitely a way to bring a dio to life.. but I guess it's just a question of practice, practice, practice... and then figure (sic) a way to use them in the scene so that the most realism is achieved.

Tony

I think the most difficult part of figure painting is the faces and other "fleshy" parts of the body. Clothes are fairly easy but trying to get realistic flesh tones, hair lines and eyes, etc........ that's the tough part. I've seen painted figures with great clothing, but the faces look like a blank, pink, plastic stare with absolutely no sign of life. I've noticed a lot of diorama photos have the figures placed with their backs, or top of the head, toward the camera and this helps the illusion greatly. Having the figures in semi shadow also helps.

Figures are definitely a way to bring a dio to life.. but I guess it's just a question of practice, practice, practice... and then figure (sic) a way to use them in the scene so that the most realism is achieved.

Tony

I agree as most all others do...That just placing a figure in a dio just for the sake of having a figure in the dio is not worth it..The figure has to help tell the story as to what is going on in the scene..Thanks! Edited by Mister Twister

One of the tricks for painting figures for dioramas is to remember that if the viewers eye willl be about a foot or more away from the dio when they look at it. The figure details need only have the detail that would be visable on the 1:1 figure at 25 feet. From that distance eyes are not a major feature and hair lines are not well defined. Therefore I tend to under paint the features on my figures faces.

Thanks

Carl

One of the tricks for painting figures for dioramas is to remember that if the viewers eye willl be about a foot or more away from the dio when they look at it. The figure details need only have the detail that would be visable on the 1:1 figure at 25 feet. From that distance eyes are not a major feature and hair lines are not well defined. Therefore I tend to under paint the features on my figures faces.

Thanks

Carl

A valid point when viewing dios........ unfortunately I'm not sure the same applies when photographing them?

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

As one can see from many of the photos, figures can be placed in such a way as to not reveal the faces. Figures in general add a lot to any scene, but the faces can be very difficult, especially for less-experienced builders. I have had to modify,extensively, Fujimi faces to get a level of detail I wanted.So, add some folks, there are ways to keep their faces away from prying eyes. Or, put black strips acros their eyes....you know, like old "family" photos.

One thing about the Fujimi garage figures that needs to be an addition is rear pockets (with a wallet) and watches! I use .010" styrene blended in with Testors Liquid Cement (try on scrap first) to make the appropriate size pocket. When it dries, shape some with a file/sandpaper and cut at slit at the top to make the "opening" of the pocket. For a wallet, just add a smaller piece of styrene to the pocket and shape accordingly. This is a very simplified explaination, but you may get the idea. Watches are "salami" sliced pieces of styrene round rod with appropriate styrene strip for the watchbands.