Model Cars Magazine Forum

Two Kustoms; '59 Caddy & '91 Caprice Wagon

LDO

The Caddy. Inspired by a Hot Wheels car. Top chopped, sides of rear roof filled, fins extended, chrome side trim removed. That side trim removal was a pain. A whole lotta grinding. It's going to get a Series 62 thin chrome spear down the side to visually break up the massive expanse of sheet metal. Rear fender skirts opened up a bit for the same reason.

HPIM0082-vi.jpg

Caprice wagon. Modelhaus body. It's not perfect, but I'm happy with it. It's kind of "wavy" past the back doors. It needs a little TLC in the area of the rear wheel opening. The beltline will need some tweaking as well. It should be a straight line but it's not. Body is getting all the barbs removed, including the roof rack. I'm thinking of Nomad-type trim with original '50s colors' like coral and...oh heck I can't remember the color that went so well with coral. I decided it would be easier to smooth out a resin stock body than turn the Alternomad into a 4-door.

HPIM0081-vi.jpg

Jared-

I saw a mild custom '59 in Custom Rodder a while back. IIRC it was metallic orange. It had the Series 62 trim and IMHO, it does a lot for the '59.

I did a quick search on the old Chevy colors. Dark gray was the one that looked so nice with Coral. I remembered it was a dark color, but the rest was vague. I'm thinking Tamiya metallic grey and a custom mix of Tamiya paint from jars for the coral.

The name of the color is Shadow Gray, that goes with Coral. Was used on the '55 Chevy. In 1970 GM used Shadow Gray again, as it was the color on a '70 El Camino SS454 I used to own. A car I really regret selling.

Good luck with your projects! I also have a customized '59 Caddy that I started about 15 years ago. Just tinkered with a custom top.... Got the Alternomad recently. Was thinking of a scarlet candy body with a white top.

Hans-

Your Alternomad project sounds nice. I just love that Caprice wagon. I'd like to get a real one. Everyone I mention it to thinks I'm crazy. They can't believe I think a station wagon could possibly be cool.

For the model, I was thinking of trim that resembles the '55:

397634.jpg

Make that chrome spear go all the way to the taillight and forget about the "dog leg" in the paint. Forget about the front spear too. Just have the rear one go forward a little farther. Also make the roof grey.

I like what this guy did. I know, different colors and '56 trim, but you get the idea.

nomad1.jpg

Caprice wagon. The beltline will need some tweaking as well. It should be a straight line but it's not.

The curved body line is correct, it just doesn't jump out at you until you work on one of these cars. Last summer I had 4 of them in my driveway, I'm down to 2 now. This one, and a beater.

RandyCaprice.jpg

The curved body line is correct, it just doesn't jump out at you until you work on one of these cars. Last summer I had 4 of them in my driveway, I'm down to 2 now. This one, and a beater.

RandyCaprice.jpg

Nice car.

Are you talking about the lower half of the body? On your car, it looks like it sweeps up gently at the rear.

What I was talking about is the tops of the doors/bottom of the windows. that looks like a straight line in the pics I've seen. It's wavy on the resin body.

Lee

What I was talking about is the tops of the doors/bottom of the windows. that looks like a straight line in the pics I've seen. It's wavy on the resin body.

Lee

OK, yes that is a problem. I think it may be the way the resin cured, pulled it out of shape at the window posts. I have 2 copies, the same as yours, and one of his very early ones with the open hood, they both have that wave. I was just going to cut the window frame lose, and push them back into place.

OK, yes that is a problem. I think it may be the way the resin cured, pulled it out of shape at the window posts. I have 2 copies, the same as yours, and one of his very early ones with the open hood, they both have that wave. I was just going to cut the window frame lose, and push them back into place.

When I read that last sentence, I had no idea what the heck you were talking about. I read it several times and still couldn't figure it out. While staring at the body wondering how to fix that wavy line, it hit me; remove the pillars then straighten the whole line at once. I cut the pillars out with the photoetched saw in the pic, then filed the line down and added a little putty here & there. I'll put the pillars back on tomorrow. To make them strong, I'll reinforce with some very lightweight fiberglass cloth. Man, you learn something new every day! Thanks for the tip. I was stumped.

HPIM0086-vi.jpg

RandyCaprice.jpg

I WANT YOUR CAR!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I know what my first car (daily driver.....72 Chevelle isn't too friendly on gas..lol) will be...that or a S-10 Xtreme.......whoops hijacking a post......:shock:

Nice wagon and I REALLY want to see more of the Caddy!!

Ben

The cad's top reminds me of Ken Kozera's "Kadzera"...

very nicely improved Cad...

can't wait to see more of yours :wink:

Ken Kozera. That name sounds familiar. I saw a chopped '59 Cad years ago in Street Rodder magazine. I wonder if it was Ken's??

I think I figured out a way to get the thin chrome trim on. I'm going to cut some .030" and .040" half-round strip into three sections, for the body side. I'll file a point on the front end of it, then polish it up real nice. Then I'll send it off to be chrome plated. I'm going to use a contour gage to get the right contour off the side of the body. Then I'll cut 3 pieces of .020" or .030"sheet and laminate them together, leaving the middle piece recessed. I'll make blocks to support it at the right height, them attatch the chrome with weak double-sided tape. Use a tiny bit of liquid cement, let it get slightly tacky, then just press it on to the body.

Well, I'll try it anyway. 8)

• 2 weeks later...

Wheels arreived for the Caprice; Mooneyes "Saturn" wheel covers. Just like the full-size car built for Moon 10-12 years ago. Gotta polish 'em up...

HPIM0117-vi.jpg

HPIM0119-vi.jpg

Now, as it turns out, these wheels are too small for the Revell Impala tires. I really don't want to go to the '53 Victoria or '48 Chevy tires recommended by MCG. I think that tall skinny tires would look awkward on a modern car. I just had a Mill accessory made by a CNC machine shop. I'm getting a quote for these wheels in a size that's just right for the Impala tires. If anyone is interested in getting a set, let me know. I asked how many I would need to buy to get this done.