Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 Cuda SRT-10 (Update 5-12)

cderekw

Do here's another update...still have some touch up paint to do on the engine, none of it is glued together right now, just mocked up, also did the first dry fit of the engine on the chassis with the body and hood, only gonna have to make 1 mod to mount this sucker for excellent fitment.

Here's the engine wired up and other parts mock up.

cudasrt10engine1.jpg

Choose your weapon...505 ci V10 Viper Engine vs. 426 ci V8 Hemi Engine

cudasrt10chooseyourweapon.jpg

The "engine swap" timeline.

cudasrt10engineswap.jpg

The hood with the viper scoop glued in place. A lot of body work in my future to get this hood looking smooth.

cudasrt10hoodstage1.jpg

And here's a mock up with the hood on the body, I personally think this thing is going to look super sharp with this hood. I just hope I have the skills to pull it off.

cudasrt10mountedhood.jpg

Thanks for looking! Comments and criticism always appreciated...yes I said criticism...I use it constructively.

Here's a photoshop edit I did of my main idea of how I want the engine shroud to look. Still not sure on whether to go with the carbon fiber finish, flat black finish, gloss black finish, or the same yellow as the body, what do you guys think?

EngineShroudPS.jpg

Nice work there!! If you put engine more close of firewall will be better. Change mounts position for this and will look awesome and you will have plenty extra space in the engine bay!

Hey thanks, I'll keep that in mind...it will help when I go to put the radiator in.

Looking great I liked your Photoshop Mockup I would go with the Carbon fiber look. Bodeen have you seen pictures of the rt/10 coil packs and how they might look with my truck its a COE and you will be able to see them so thought I would add them. What kind of wire and boot setup did you use for the plugs Derek?

• 2 weeks later...

First off, I finally have a real workbench for models. Got tired of using the kitchen table or what surface I could find that wasn't occupied with my wife's stuff. I bought an L-shaped desk and so far it works great. I have the left side for the current model and it's parts, and the right side for my tool and materials, and of course a comfy office chair.

Here it is in whole in my "man cave"

wb.jpg

Left side with the 'Cuda on the bench.

wbl.jpg

Right side of tool and materials (and starburst)

wbr.jpg

I know it isn't much but we've all got to start somewhere. I'm really excited about this build and how it's turning out. I'm learning a lot and I can literally see my skills improving. It's great.

Looking great I liked your Photoshop Mockup I would go with the Carbon fiber look. Bodeen have you seen pictures of the rt/10 coil packs and how they might look with my truck its a COE and you will be able to see them so thought I would add them. What kind of wire and boot setup did you use for the plugs Derek?

I used 30ga wrapping wire from radio shack and for the boots I used the black insulation from the inside of phone wire (I think.)

Been a while since my last update. Work keeps me busy, but I got a couple days off and some time to work on this beast a lil more.

I've soaked the body and a few other parts in Purple Power and removed the paint so I can start off clean again. Added mesh to the grille openings on the front bumper, still need to the the openings on the lower valance though. Cut the wheel tubs off the chassis in preparation to lower it a bit, just not sure how to do it. Prepped the wheels for mounting onto the axles. Painted the rotors. Haven't painted the calipers yet because I'm not sure whether to do them in red or the same color as the body. Did my first flocking job on the interior, and I'm very happy with how it turned out for my first try at it.

Here is the body and in the Purple Power.

Purplepond.jpg

The mesh grille.

FrontMesh.jpg

The mods I had to do to get the Pegasus wheels onto the axles, found some sprue that was just a hair bigger than a drill bit I have, so I tapped the mount holes on the wheels to the same size and drilled into the axles, cut the sprue, inserted into the wheel mount (no glue) and then they fit nice and snug into the axles.

AxleMod.jpg

WheelHubModified.jpg

WheelsnBrakes.jpg

Here is how the chassis currently sits with the wheels, the back wheels were rubbing the tubs and stock height, so I cut those off knowing I'll have to do it later when I lower it.

ChassisMocked.jpg

First flocking job on the interior, I'm proud of it, I'm sure some of you will notice obvious mistakes, but it turned out much better than I thought it would being my first shot at it.

Interiorflocked.jpg

Also started the body work on the hood. A lot of sanding going on and so far it's turning out spectacular, I think it's going to look great once it's finished and sitting nicely over the V10.

Hoodputtywork.jpg

Thanks for looking. Comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Criticism also greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys. I really do appreciate your comments.

On the other hand has anyone ever lowered this model, or does anyone know how? I have an idea of how I would do it but I would really like to know how someone else has/would do it. It would be a great help to me to get this kit finished.

The easiest way to lower this kit is, for the front, to cut off the pins that the wheels snap to and move them higher up on the little circle. You can get a few scale inches that way, if you need more you can add a piece of flat plastic that extends higher that the circle to get even more drop. You can also change the track width the same way, since the wheels you are going to use have more negative offset that the kit wheels you can add plastic to where you cut the pin from to move the wheel closer to the fender lip if you need to. To lower the rear you need to cut the leaf springs off of the axle and put a little block between the axle and spring to move the axle up into the rear subframe. If this is unclear please don't cut anything, just ask and I will try to post some pics.

Edited by Fat Brian

• 2 years later...