Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Run

I love a good trash talk session, Dylan! It's all in fun.

I've come to realize over the years that every brand has it's good cars and it's duds. For "Duds", Chevy had the Chevette and... and... well, maybe the 1915 "Copper-Cooled" lineup. while Ford had the Pinto and Crown Victoria firebombs, the Mustang II, the Fiesta, the Contour, all those pickups and vans that seem to rust out in the first 5 years or so (It's true - look at the bottom of the tailgate of the next 5-10 year old F-Series you're following and see if I'm lying about this one!)... On the good side of the ledger, Chevy has the Corvette, the Camaro, the sweet-handling Corvairs that I love so much, LS6 Chevelles, and Ford has... Ford has... Ford has the cars that Shelby, Saleen, and Rousch modify to make fast cars out of 'em! :):lol::D:P

(BTW: I like the oversize Chevy "Cowl Induction"-style scoop you're putting on your 'Stang!)

Your forgetting the diaster called the vega.

The chevette is worth mentioning twice and the corvair is nothin special.

Does chevy have a super car !NO!

Ford does the ford gt

Unfountly its not even a contest chevy may be better than mopar but Ford is still miles better than chevy

All car brands have their flagships and disasters. I used to wave the GM flag when I was younger, then I had a couple of lemons from the general that changed my mind. My grandfather worked at the local GM assembly plant for 30+ years and refused to buy a GM with his employee discount!

As for Ford, there wasn't a single model that I would even consider buying until 5 years ago when Ford cleaned up their act in the quality departmetn. Most Ford owners that I know spent more time working or fixing their rides than driving them.

A few years from now, I'm sure that things will change again. Just look at Hyundai!

I love a good trash talk session, Dylan! It's all in fun.

I've come to realize over the years that every brand has it's good cars and it's duds. For "Duds", Chevy had the Chevette and... and... well, maybe the 1915 "Copper-Cooled" lineup. while Ford had the Pinto and Crown Victoria firebombs, the Mustang II, the Fiesta, the Contour, all those pickups and vans that seem to rust out in the first 5 years or so (It's true - look at the bottom of the tailgate of the next 5-10 year old F-Series you're following and see if I'm lying about this one!)... On the good side of the ledger, Chevy has the Corvette, the Camaro, the sweet-handling Corvairs that I love so much, LS6 Chevelles, and Ford has... Ford has... Ford has the cars that Shelby, Saleen, and Rousch modify to make fast cars out of 'em! :):lol::D:P

(BTW: I like the oversize Chevy "Cowl Induction"-style scoop you're putting on your 'Stang!)

Pintos were good and bad... we had 2 that were great little cars, and 1 that was a rust bucket... I've owened 2 Musdtang IIs..sure they werent race cars, but I liked them. The fiesta and Contour were budget cars.. plain and simple... my aunt drove a contour for YEARS. Ad for trucks.. I STILL see Ford Trucks from the 70s being used as daily drivers.... I agree that all Chevy's suck though!<LOL>

the camero is a cheap copy of the mustang

Umm...no. The Camaro was designed to compete with the Ford pony cars. And they might have had kinda similar shapes (debatable) in 67-69, but after that the two cars were as different as can be. As for being cheap.....there are as many surviving early Camaros today as there are Mustangs. Cheap cars didn't last and didn't sell. Case in point, I wonder how many surviving 74-78 Mustang II's are still around vice 74-78 Camaros. I bet it's not even close.

I can dig trash talk and brand loyalty, but lets not go too far with wild statements that have no basis in fact.

Your forgetting the diaster called the vega.

The chevette is worth mentioning twice and the corvair is nothin special.

Does chevy have a super car !NO!

Ford does the ford gt

Unfountly its not even a contest chevy may be better than mopar but Ford is still miles better than chevy

1) Vegas held up quite well if their owners just bothered to take proper care of them. I have a friend on Long Island with four Vegas: One, a 1973 "Millionth Vega", hhas been written up in "Motor Trend Classic", winning a comparison test between it, a Pinto, and a Gremlin; a 1976 Cosworth Vega; an unrestored, show-quality '72 Panel Express, and his daily driver, a '74 Vega Kammback wagon with nearly 200,000 miles on the original engine (actually, it shares daily driver duties with a '74 Corvette).

2) "The Corvair is nothin' special"... Them is fightin' words, bucko! I've owned 14 of them over the years and only ever had one breakdown. I overrevved it "a little bit" when the 150,000 mile old shift linkage (it's nearly 5 feet long from the shifter back to the transaxle) with worn-out bushings gave me 2nd gear instead of 4th at it's 6,000 rpm redline at 60+mph in 3rd. The tires caught, and the transaxle held together just fine. In fact I reused it in another car later on. Name me even ONE 150,000 mile Ford compact that can withstand overrevving to over 10,000 grand! My latest Corvair handles cloverleafs at over TWICE the "recommended" speeds. It is 14-0 against 5.0 Mustangs in stoplight drags. I guess 5.0 Mustangs are the cars that really ARE "NOTHING SPECIAL"! Yenko Stinger Corvairs are still competitive in SCCA racing, nearly 50 years after they were built. Show me a production-based, SCCA-eligible Falcon that can claim THAT! (Oh yeah, that's right. Falcons were never successful in ANY type of road racing!)

3,4) Does Chevy have a super car? !YES!... Does Ford have one? !NO!: Do the numbers Z-06 and ZR-1 ring a bell? LT-7? All the performance and more of the OUT-OF-PRODUCTION Ford GT at half the price. (BTW: When was the last time you actually saw a GT on the road? I've only ever seen ONE of them, several years ago, owned by 76ers star Andre Igoudala. It was given to him by Ford as part of an advertising deal. He pulled into a gas station with it to fill up while I was there.)

I mentioned the Contour because two good friends of mine nearly burned to death when the Contour they were riding in burst into flames for no apparent reason a few years ago. The driver smelled something burning and pulled over. The engine bay erupted in flames from under the car as they were getting out. Another friend was nearly fricasseed by a '73 Grand Torino.

How many Fairmonts do you see on the road compared to 1978-87 Malibus? Late 70's-late 80's T-birds as opposed to the same era Monte Carlos? NEW Taurures compared to new Impalas?

I like how Ford fudges the pickup production numbers, because if you combine the production of the IDENTICAL Chevy and GMC pickup lines, The F-Series has NEVER outsold them!

One other thing: Since it's debut a couple of years ago, the Camaro has outsold the Mustang. Rightly so, since it's less expensive with better performance. It is NOT "a cheap copy of the Mustang", simply a better car at a better price.

1) Vegas held up quite well if their owners just bothered to take proper care of them. I have a friend on Long Island with four Vegas: One, a 1973 "Millionth Vega", hhas been written up in "Motor Trend Classic", winning a comparison test between it, a Pinto, and a Gremlin; a 1976 Cosworth Vega; an unrestored, show-quality '72 Panel Express, and his daily driver, a '74 Vega Kammback wagon with nearly 200,000 miles on the original engine (actually, it shares daily driver duties with a '74 Corvette).

2) "The Corvair is nothin' special"... Them is fightin' words, bucko! I've owned 14 of them over the years and only ever had one breakdown. I overrevved it "a little bit" when the 150,000 mile old shift linkage (it's nearly 5 feet long from the shifter back to the transaxle) with worn-out bushings gave me 2nd gear instead of 4th at it's 6,000 rpm redline at 60+mph in 3rd. The tires caught, and the transaxle held together just fine. In fact I reused it in another car later on. Name me even ONE 150,000 mile Ford compact that can withstand overrevving to over 10,000 grand! My latest Corvair handles cloverleafs at over TWICE the "recommended" speeds. It is 14-0 against 5.0 Mustangs in stoplight drags. I guess 5.0 Mustangs are the cars that really ARE "NOTHING SPECIAL"! Yenko Stinger Corvairs are still competitive in SCCA racing, nearly 50 years after they were built. Show me a production-based, SCCA-eligible Falcon that can claim THAT! (Oh yeah, that's right. Falcons were never successful in ANY type of road racing!)

3,4) Does Chevy have a super car? !YES!... Does Ford have one? !NO!: Do the numbers Z-06 and ZR-1 ring a bell? LT-7? All the performance and more of the OUT-OF-PRODUCTION Ford GT at half the price. (BTW: When was the last time you actually saw a GT on the road? I've only ever seen ONE of them, several years ago, owned by 76ers star Andre Igoudala. It was given to him by Ford as part of an advertising deal. He pulled into a gas station with it to fill up while I was there.)

I mentioned the Contour because two good friends of mine nearly burned to death when the Contour they were riding in burst into flames for no apparent reason a few years ago. The driver smelled something burning and pulled over. The engine bay erupted in flames from under the car as they were getting out. Another friend was nearly fricasseed by a '73 Grand Torino.

How many Fairmonts do you see on the road compared to 1978-87 Malibus? Late 70's-late 80's T-birds as opposed to the same era Monte Carlos? NEW Taurures compared to new Impalas?

I like how Ford fudges the pickup production numbers, because if you combine the production of the IDENTICAL Chevy and GMC pickup lines, The F-Series has NEVER outsold them!

One other thing: Since it's debut a couple of years ago, the Camaro has outsold the Mustang. Rightly so, since it's less expensive with better performance. It is NOT "a cheap copy of the Mustang", simply a better car at a better price.

1) Im sorry to here about your freinds.

2) i dont think it matters that th Ford gt is out of production an awsome car is an awesome car.

3) Ford does in fact have a super car in production the shelby mustang that can beat a corvette zr1 off the line any day the numbers dont lie.

Quater mile times

2012 corvette zr1 12.1 sec

2012 shelby mustang 11.5 sec

Btw i dont have anything agaisnt corvairs it was just to mess with you

1) Im sorry to here about your freinds.

2) i dont think it matters that th Ford gt is out of production an awsome car is an awesome car.

3) Ford does in fact have a super car in production the shelby mustang that can beat a corvette zr1 off the line any day the numbers dont lie.

Quater mile times

2012 corvette zr1 12.1 sec

2012 shelby mustang 11.5 sec

Btw i dont have anything agaisnt corvairs it was just to mess with you

1) Let me get this straght: You're sorry my friend owns three show-winning Vegas and has anothyer stone-reliable, 200K-mile Vega as a daily driver? (I forgot to mention that he has a newspaper delivery side-job to help him pay for his toys. He runs his 30-mile daily stop-and-go route out of the 200,000-mile Kammback!) Oh, you mean the ones that the Contour and the Torino nearly fried...

2) Dead is dead. I'd happily put any 2012/13 Corvette up against any 2012/13 Ford GT! Hell, I'd happily put my 2006 Cobalt SS up against any 2012/13 Ford GT (That's "Ford GT", NOT "Mustang GT"!) One thing I'd like to look into: The TOTAL number of Ford GTs sold vs, the number of Corvettes sold in any given month while the GT was in production!

3) Performance isn't all about 1/4 mile times. According to Motor Trend, NOT manufacturer's numbers: "The Shelby may be 3-seconds-a-lap quicker than it's predecessor, but around the Streets of Willow (Road Course), it also happens to be 3.1 seconds SLOWER than the Z06". That's all around, Super Car PERFORMANCE, not just straight-line acceleration.

4) BTW: Trash talk is meant to be fun, and that's the way I took it. Just thought I'd give you the facts about the al-time best compact car, that's all.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I once had a '72 Vega Panel Express as a company car ind it was a rollong P.O.S.! It got totalled and was replaced by a 2 year old '80 Pinto wagon that, hard as it is for this Chevy guy to admit, was a better car. Maybe being 8 years and 120,000 mles newer had something to do with that, though. The Vega had been worked hard from Day 1.)

I was just curious so I looked up the value, and going by what kelly blue book says, the car is worth $12,002 , thats a long way from $69,900

I'm not defending the price, but I saw this car in person and can tell you its a brand new '93 Cobra. Also, did you look up '93 Mustang Cobra, or the Cobra R model? With as little as 107 ever produced, I would be surprised if the blue book even considers values of such low prodruciton numbers. I had no idea that a '93 Cobra R even existed.

When I walked into the showroom, I thought "What the hell is this Fox-Body Mustand doing here with the Porsches, Lambos, and Bentleys!?" You can pick one of these up in decent shape for $2,500. Then I did a walk around and noticed the factory radio delete and other race prep options from Ford that I've never seen on a Fox-Body before. That's when I started asking questions.

MVL Leasing is a toy store for the rich. The owners are good guys. If they are asking $69,900 for the car, then it's because they have a market for someone to pay that much for it. With the amount of high priced vehicles that move throgh their doors, I don't doubt that the car will sell either.

Either way, it's some good clean reference pics of an all original Mustang. Take it or leave it.

Ive been really busy lately but i managed to cut out the doors and im experminting trying to make some lambo doors. Does anyone know how. Ill have pictures up later

Scratchbuilding Lambo doors would be a challenge! Perhaps you can canabalize one of the Revell kits that offer them. I think that they are in the "new" Charger, Magnum, or 300 kits. It may not be cheaper, but maybe easier.

(BTW: The trash talking started in the "Gumball" thread about 2 months ago when someone with a Hemi Dodge Daytona got it in his head that his car actually had a chance against my 400++ h.p., mid-engine Corvette ZR-1 powered '66 Corvair! THAT'S not gonna happen! :lol:)

AH so nice to hear :D:P I love you too Jim , i might have to do a chevy for this cpb to let you know i that i do infact bleed chevy engine orange... Now what to build ..... :blink: and that Daytona will have an all aluminum destroked twin plug hemi . We are just having trouble getting dyno time for the engine .

Michael

Ok so i know its hard to see on camera but that is a guide coat of gray primer and im slowly getting the body of this car smoother. other than workining on the body ive also been working on the rollcage im scracth building and the interior was warped so i had to cut off the trunck section and had to reaatch in so that it was correctly alingened, i dont have enough progress on this part of the build to bother with pictures yet. in adition i am making the interior tub and chasis apear as one piece no ugly seams. also i have puttied and snded the engine block and seats to cover up those nasty seams.

post-8482-0-93211400-1344665005_thumb.jppost-8482-0-81788800-1344665016_thumb.jppost-8482-0-42435200-1344665029_thumb.jppost-8482-0-06328000-1344665041_thumb.jp