Model Cars Magazine Forum

wild child

retroguy

I noticed they show 2 diff. eng.for this car,has someone built this car with either eng...

I'd appreciate any info/pic about the engines...thanks

after looking over the body it looks like a stock body and you have to modify the body so it looks more like

the car that the kit is supposed to represent...

the whl wells need to be cut,the vent window needs removing,the r. whls need dechroming and the glass needs to be cut,and I haven't even ck'ed the eng.,but the eng. in the kit is not what the box pic shows..

I think for 26 bucks there should no major reconstructing...

I'm guessing that Moebius did the majority of work on the models that are associated with...

I don't usually complain like this but I'm not impressed with Model Kings own models...

Edited by retroguy

The axle has a little kink in it. When Rankin Ford altered the wheelbase in 1966, they used a axle beam assembly from an old Ford sitting in the back lot. While there is a kink, the axle is actually perfectly straight.

Joe@MotorheadExtraordinaire.com

Motorhead Extraordinaire

We sell All American Garage Storage and Workspace Solutions

Like us on Facebook for 40-60% off Lista Deals

• 1 month later...

Been awhile since I checked this topic,great pics,how about some interior pics with

everything together and maybe a front shot of the eng..

The model instr'ns show the fuel pump on the r.side...

Thanks...

Edited by retroguy

• 1 month later...

Great pics but what in the world's wrong with that axle? Maybe it's just the photo but it looks like it's got some odd bends in it.

That kink you see is real...

That's how the alignment is done old school....

Put the car on the rack, chain it down, and jack up the axle from below until you get it lined up....

Yup, it's really bent...

You must be a young fella...

• 3 weeks later...

To the best of my knowledge, Dave Burket, the "Model King" is not a manufacturer of plastic model kits. He is a broker who negotiates with manufactures like AMT, Revell etc. to release or re-release limited production runs of mostly out of production kits. As modelers we have access to kits that would not have been available without Mr. Burket's efforts.

I have several Model King/AMT AWB race car kits including the "Wild Child". All of these kits come with highly unique box Art-Work and/or in the case of the "Wild Child", photos of the 1:1 car in it's current beautifully restored condition.

It is clearly indicated on the box side the following: "Model will need to be modified to be built as pictured." This notification is printed on the outside carton of all "Model King" kits I have. However, as the body, interior & chassis are molded with an AWB a reasonably accurate representation of the "Wild Child" could be built without modifying any of the kit parts and using only what comes in the box.

In my opinion the box art & especially the decals is what really sets these kits apart. I find the hardest part of trying to represent a particular race car is the decals required and these kits come with all necessary decals.

As for the cost, these are limited production re-releases of out of production kits & not surprisingly this can add somewhat to the cost.

Thanks to Joe Germann & Motorhead Extraordinaire for keeping an important part of drag racing history alive and providing photos to modelers who would like to go crazy with this kit & super detail it.

Cheers.

Gary.

• 3 months later...

Nice work on that restoration, Joe. It was about twenty years ago when that car and I crossed paths. I was at my friend's bodyshop in London the day it received a fresh white paint job. Think it was a sikkens rep did the deed. Anyways, I was going through my archives of Ford pics this weekend and came across some pics taken about that time.

wc1_zpsadd5a011.jpgwc3_zps3c8a0c62.jpgwc2_zpsa7110a45.jpgwc4_zps85ab16d0.jpg