Model Cars Magazine Forum

87 Mustang GT

Pullin Gears

Purists may not like me, but I had a lot of fun stuffing a big block chevy in a foxbody mustang! If you look near the grill, you can see I painted a chevy bowtie stabing the ford logo.

IMG_6022-vi.jpg

The engine and headers came from a Revell 69 Camaro kit. I had to scratch build the front cross member and motor mounts. I added down bars to strengthen the unibody and used a resin electric fan setup as well as a resin MSD box.

IMG_6020-vi.jpg

Paint is Testor's gloss red with clear. The tail-lights and trim were challenging to paint!

IMG_6018-vi.jpg

I built a tach and simple roll bar for the interior. The seats are from the parts box, with ribbon seatbelts.

uperChevyOCCruiseChildsplay816-vi.jpg

Edited by Pullin Gears

Nice Fox body, wish we could get 'em as cheap in the UK as you can in America. Great paint, and I am interetsed in the rubber specks behind the rear arches, I have been wondering how to recreate rubber on bodywork.

You can ! Just sold my clean 91 GT for £1650 ! (tho didnt have a BBC in front lol)

Haha thanks guys! Steve, I actually own both a ford powered 93 mustang coupe, and a 86 Camaro that I am building a small block chevy for. I built this model before I bought my 1:1 Mustang, It just so happens they are both torch red.

Simon,the rubber was created using craft store sponge paint brushes and some flat black paint. If you let the paint get tacky, and apply 2-3 layers it begins to look like built up rubber.

Steve is right, I think i'll have to go back and sand the tires to make them look more used!