Model Cars Magazine Forum

Root Beer 55 Chevy [Updated 8-14-13]

Pat Minarick

How long do you guys wait to polish a car?

Depends on the materials used. What clear did you spray it with? Some polyurethane two part clears can be polished in as little as few hours. If it is an enamel clear (Testors) I would not touch it for at least a week.

Depends on the materials used. What clear did you spray it with? Some polyurethane two part clears can be polished in as little as few hours. If it is an enamel clear (Testors) I would not touch it for at least a week.

Thanks Michael ! I'm using Testors lacquer and haven't polished any of my paint jobs out but one and had a few problems.

Thanks Michael ! I'm using Testors lacquer and haven't polished any of my paint jobs out but one and had a few problems.

I don't think Testors lacquers are "true" lacquer. They tend to dry a lot slower than real automotive lacquer. There is also a big difference between drying (to the touch) and curing. I have not polished a Testors product in over a decade, so I am sure there are people on here who can give you a lot better advice, but I would leave it for at least a week, before I touch it.

Careful, guys...they may feel ready but as they continue to gas out you'll see some of that effort spent be undone. 3, 4 days is good on these synthetic lacquers if you're really in a hurry, or a week if you want to be sure.

I'm not sure why folks are avoiding sanding on metallics. It's called color sanding. :P If you get great, totally level surfaces on every color coat there's no need...but it's part of the process to level the surface between coats. Even the smoothest coat of paint is going to have a slight texture as it gasses out. The blotchiness referred to comes from exposing the mica particles and/or creating thin spots (the latter is easy enough to avoid with practice, the former is just the nature of the process). That last color coat takes care of the exposed mica and evens the tone out...and if you did your work right throughout the process your clear coat can be minimal allowing you to avoid that whole dipped in syrup look that comes with too many coats of clear built up and polished away.

At least, that's the right way to handle it. Honestly, though, these new paints can come out close enough for what we're doing that as long as you're happy with it, go for it. I sure don't take the long road on most of mine unless things go south and it needs the extra help...or if I actually set out to build something for a contest table (ain't likely. lol).

The testors lacquers can be polished after a day or 2

Careful, guys...they may feel ready but as they continue to gas out you'll see some of that effort spent be undone. 3, 4 days is good on these synthetic lacquers if you're really in a hurry, or a week if you want to be sure.

I'm not sure why folks are avoiding sanding on metallics. It's called color sanding. :P If you get great, totally level surfaces on every color coat there's no need...but it's part of the process to level the surface between coats. Even the smoothest coat of paint is going to have a slight texture as it gasses out. The blotchiness referred to comes from exposing the mica particles and/or creating thin spots (the latter is easy enough to avoid with practice, the former is just the nature of the process). That last color coat takes care of the exposed mica and evens the tone out...and if you did your work right throughout the process your clear coat can be minimal allowing you to avoid that whole dipped in syrup look that comes with too many coats of clear built up and polished away.

At least, that's the right way to handle it. Honestly, though, these new paints can come out close enough for what we're doing that as long as you're happy with it, go for it. I sure don't take the long road on most of mine unless things go south and it needs the extra help...or if I actually set out to build something for a contest table (ain't likely. lol).

Thanks guys ,i will wait for a week or too just to make sure .

• 4 weeks later...