Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Mustang Boss 429 - update

scalemodelworld

Looks very nice. A couple recommendations, real motors are many colors. Especially ones that have been heavily modified or have "bolt-on" modifications. The plug wires look very good with natural 'sag' as on a real engine... Just my two cents...

Thanks Jim. The car is going to be the same blue as the engine, hence my standard-looking block.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, two weeks over Christmas with no building? I was going out of my mind! But I'm home now and have been working feverishly on The Boss. Yesterday I managed to get colour on the body, so this morning I got all excited like a school boy and had to mock up what I've completed so far.

Parts were primed with Dupli-Color automotive grey primer and then coloured with Tamiya French Blue (TS-10), which is the same as the engine colour.

post-11019-0-13533500-1357854710_thumb.j

I know, the hood doesn't sit right when it's closed, but I'm working on that

post-11019-0-03126800-1357854788_thumb.j

I know, the door isn't perfectly straight when it's open. I'm putting that down as "practice for the next model"!

post-11019-0-33049900-1357854833_thumb.j

Use of Ye Olde Toothpick to hold up the hood! The engine bay isn't complete yet

Thanks for looking. Hope ya'll like it

Another small thing that annoyed me about this kit, is that the hood won't stay open unless it's at a full 90 degree angle which just looks horrible. So I had a play around with some brass rod and built myself a little support rod, which is permanently fixed to engine bay. It hinges from the left and is bent about a thousand times so it works it's way around all the in-car components and can stay inside the car with the hood closed.

hood-open.jpg

hood-support-down.jpg