Model Cars Magazine Forum

70.5 Z28 10.5 Outlaw (WIP....Update 7.9.13)

hOLMS

Started this ride couple years back in between doing Pro Mod bodies....picked it back up last week and working on it while checking into producing copies of the Challenger and Vette PM's bodies.

Anyways, I started a chassis...has a nascar front section mated to a pro stock mid and rear. Also been doing the bodywork, filling and smoothing front for that smooth one-pc look. I could not find my rear bumper, so scratching that up to try making it look cool. This will not be fully detailed nor conform to any rules, may not even have a motor.....will add some detail to the interior and go from there. I just want a quick build that looks descent, ready to spray some real paint instead of primer. Please forgive me....one of these days I'll have a complete ride to show. I hope you like.

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

IMG_1588.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

Edited by hOLMS

Hi all...this is turning into a fun little build. I've made a rear wing, rescribed trunk opening, rescribed front/rear window molding and made some little wedged side skirts. I've filled the molded door scribes, will redo those a little bit....did not like the placement. I plan on making a hood scoop and doing some more chassis work this week. Thanks for looking!

IMG_1615.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

Been able to get a little more stuff done on this one. I've trimmed up the headlight area, scribed the new door lines and worked on my rear tires. I also got a new coat of primer on the body, which is very close....need to work on the grill area and a little window treatment. I may wait till next week on that, moving on to some chassis stuff and hopefully painting that sometime soon.

I trimmed the headlights with an brand new exacto on an angle, then smoothed with 320 lightly. Be careful when trying this and go slow, amazing how sharp those new blades are! I then smoothed the back of headlight lenses and constantly checked the fit....when the lenses seated properly, I applied Plastruct Weldene to keep them in place. I will smooth them over a bit, use decals for headlights and trim in chrome to resemble the bezel.

Tires - Started with stock Monogram slicks. After some research into the true width of a 10.5, really depends on width of rim used, tire pressure and tire diameter. From what I've read, this could be anywhere between 10.5" to 11.5". I based mine on a scale 11" wide (.44"). I trimmed a pc of tape .44" wide and wrapped around tire, then trimmed with exacto blade and sanded with a 150 grit sanding block to blend the sidewall curve.

Thanks for looking and commenting, greatly appreciated!

hl1.jpg

tires.jpg

whole.jpg

Been able to get a little more stuff done on this one. I've trimmed up the headlight area, scribed the new door lines and worked on my rear tires. I also got a new coat of primer on the body, which is very close....need to work on the grill area and a little window treatment. I may wait till next week on that, moving on to some chassis stuff and hopefully painting that sometime soon.

I trimmed the headlights with an brand new exacto on an angle, then smoothed with 320 lightly. Be careful when trying this and go slow, amazing how sharp those new blades are! I then smoothed the back of headlight lenses and constantly checked the fit....when the lenses seated properly, I applied Plastruct Weldene to keep them in place. I will smooth them over a bit, use decals for headlights and trim in chrome to resemble the bezel.

Tires - Started with stock Monogram slicks. After some research into the true width of a 10.5, really depends on width of rim used, tire pressure and tire diameter. From what I've read, this could be anywhere between 10.5" to 11.5". I based mine on a scale 11" wide (.44"). I trimmed a pc of tape .44" wide and wrapped around tire, then trimmed with exacto blade and sanded with a 150 grit sanding block to blend the sidewall curve.

Thanks for looking and commenting, greatly appreciated!

hl1.jpg

tires.jpg

whole.jpg

what monogram kit is the tires off of.........and would the tires off the revell 75 plymouth mongoose be big enough for a pro mod tire ???

Hi all.....another freezing day here in the mid-atlantic, kinda sucks because I would love to paint something, got that itch and you all know what I mean! I just wanted to say I thank you all for commenting and following this fun little build, I'm loving it!

Couple questions you guys wanted me to answer.....here you go. Thanks for posting your Camaro "James2", that looks awesome!

1 - I started with the Monogram STP Firebird chassis and I'm using the AMT 70.5 Z28 body.

2 - The tires are from that STP kit and they are the two pc deal. I kinda took a "shot in the dark" with this process hoping I would not cut through where they mate together, and it worked out ok. I used super glue for mating the two pcs. I really don't have any shots of the process for cutting, I'l try to explain....once I have the tape wrapped around the tire, I make 3 angled cuts from the contact patch to the opening for the rim, this helps with keeping the curve of the sidewall. If you can imagine peeling an apple....very similar, and I shoot for the removed material to be consistent and come off the tire in one pc. I then use a sturdy, rough sanding stick and a 150 grit 3M sanding block to smooth it all over. I think they came out well, not perfect, but a lot closer than anything I could find. I think the tire diameter may be a little big, but thats fine with me.

I hope that helps....couple updates for the week. I've curved the rear bumper fascia for wheelie bar clearance. I do have the rear end mounted, the wheelie bars need some rework although they look kinda cool in the "transport" position. I finally settled on the rear rims, they are mounted and will be painted soon. As I planned, this will not have a motor, but will have interior work and suspension. The front wheels are mounted and my ride height is finished. Next, scoop for the hood and locking the chassis to the body....only thing doing that right now is tape for placement. I'm really enjoying this. Thanks for looking!

IMG_1706.jpg

rear1.jpg

12613-2.jpg