Model Cars Magazine Forum

41 Plymouth Coupe

PowerPlant

Although I do have a few ongoing projects already, I decided to start the AMT Plymouth I recently got in a trade here, and post it as my first WIP on the forum...

I haven't got much for now as I'm now in the process of cleaning up parts, but here's a quick mock-up with some wide whitewall Firestones I also got in the same deal:

DSC_0543_zps5dd2d868.jpg

Not sure exactly what I'll do with it yet, but I think I might bash it with some wheels and other custom bits from the 49 Merc.

More to come soon.

Thanks for looking,

MATIJA

Thanks for all the great comments :)

Yes, the camera is indeed a Nikon D40 DSLR with a regular 18-55 mm lens.

The trick to a good photo, however, is "post-production"... For lack of a better program, such as PhotoShop, I simply use Photoscape - a free online photo editor which delivers quite amazing results in literally 4-5 clicks. Check it out ;)

Edited by PowerPlant

• 2 months later...

Progress on the Plymouth is slow...

I've been working on blending the front clip with the body...

c4ecea83-6f79-408b-b15b-01db45fb7c94_zps

Although my original plan was to build a mild custom with a straight six engine and whitewall wheels, I changed my mind and decided to build a V8 powered street rod instead...

With wheels and tires from a Revell 3-window deuce:

DSC_0196_zps973b27cd.jpg

And a dilemma...

I found some resin-cast old-school bucket seats, and thought about replacing the bench seat with them...

DSC_0204_zps6849b830.jpg

What do you guys think?

I like the bucket seat idea.

Thanks, Jim! Input much appreciated :) Anyone else? Would it be strange to see these on such a car?

One of the best kits I built as a teenager, everything just fit perfect. I'm curious to see what you decided to make.

It does seem nice so far... I'm finding the rear suspension a bit fiddly to put together, but it is nice there are two ride height options straight from the box :)

Thanks for all other comments, also :D

Thanks, Rodney :)

Keep in mind, however, those vertical panel lines do exist on the real car, and I'll be re-scribing them, but for those unfamiliar with this kit - this is what it looked like after gluing the front clip to the body:

c41dce98-f653-4971-851a-d756139dc46a_zps

Only the Grand Canyon is more impressive than these gaping gorges :P

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mean to bore you guys, but there's a lot of work to be done on that front end, in order to make it look right...

I re-did the vertical seams... This is what it looks like now, still quite a bit to get done:

DSC_0655_zps4c3f1adc.jpg

Edited by PowerPlant

Great job on the front end.

I built one of these a few years ago as a re-entry to building and couldn't believe how poor that all fit together. I built mine with the gasser look so I just smoothed it all out and frenched the headlights.

Thanks for posting this

Tom