Model Cars Magazine Forum

65 Chevy Impala SS Hardtop

Anne, as coming from someone who deals in Obsolete parts and collectables , sellers are motivated by several factors . First, you have the crowd who simply says , hey. it's old , so it has to be rare, read expensive .

You have sellers who actually "READ " the market and actually know what a product will bring .

In any case , just because a product is old , obsolete , or just isn't in use anymore doesn't constitute it as a "Rare or collectable " piece .

Me, I'm cheap and I watch for bargains at shows , auctions , etc ....................

Anne, E-bay sellers belive PT Barnums old sayin "There's one born every minute" IF it's an ORIGINAL 65 AMT kit, it could be worth what some nut may think it's worth, but ,since there IS a newer more detailed kit out of it, the ONLY thing the original kit has over it is nostalgia. I paid 200.00 for a AMT 66 Impala kit over 20 years ago! Saw another one just recently at another toy show for only 40 bucks unbuilt! i bought IT too. If I had known Revell was gonna do one 20 years later, I MIGHT 've waited. Nawww I STILL woulda bought it. Honestly though, those kits'll usually bring a fair price now. 50 bucks for an original unbuilt kit is a pretty fair price!

...those kits'll usually bring a fair price now. 50 bucks for an original unbuilt kit is a pretty fair price!

Do you mean $50.00 for an original, AMT 65 Impala hardtop kit, or do you mean the Revell/Monogram issue released in the late-1990's? Your statement confused me a little bit.

Are the late-1990's Revell/Monogram kits going for that much money now?

The hardtop tool hadn't been run lately, I think the last time was the Amigo Pack that came with the 1:87 diecast car. If you don't absolutely have to have it, I'd wait til May and see if Revell doesn't reissue it this fall, as it's about time it came around again after the reissued the Convertible kit a few months ago.

No Mark, Sorry for the confusion. I purchased my second 66 about 2 years ago at our local toy show! I thought 'welp, might as well, caz I don't know when I'll find/see anouther'. But the value for kit BUILDERS has probably dropped quite a bit since the Revell 66 came out.I know if it hadn't been WHAT it was I wouldn't have bought it. I have a few of the new Revell 66's. It's a VERY nice kit!