Model Cars Magazine Forum

building a solid gold dispaly base ?

First, make a form the size you want your base to be. Then get yourself around ten to twelve pounds of gold and begin smelting it to get it in a liquid form. Once your gold is a nice liquid consistency, pour it into your form. Allow it to cool and harden. Then, give it a good polishing and your done! Hope this helps! :P

Simple, everyday items for a dirt-track?

Once the snow in your part of the Heart of New England melts (here in Marlborough, I've still got a good four or five inches on the ground), go to a sandy or dirt lot someplace and take a scoop or two of a sand/soil mix.

Grab a stainless mesh collander and run the soil/sand mix through it into some type of container. Set aside the larger particles in a sealed container for future projects if you so choose.

Go over to Staples, Office Max or whatever, and get a piece of foamcore board that's about the size you want. It would be advisable to get a thin piece of plywood or some 1x2 stick and either glue the foamcore to the plywood or make a frame with the wood and glue the board to that. That will prevent warping.

Paint the foamcore with brown acrylic paint. While the paint is wet, sift the soil onto the wet paint.

For added realism, roll some tires across the dirt to make it look like it's been driven on.

Hope that helps.

Charlie Larkin

Could I use a deep picture frame Charlie because I wanted to put some led lights. I have some dowel rods that would make perfect light poles and I was gonna use a 9 volt and a small switch cut into the backside of the base. I like the soil idea it sounds very easy. What could I use for guardrail or wall

Edited by wheaton79chris

Could I use a deep picture frame Charlie because I wanted to put some led lights. I have some dowel rods that would make perfect light poles and I was gonna use a 9 volt and a small switch cut into the backside of the base. I like the soil idea it sounds very easy. What could I use for guardrail or wall

You MIGHT be able to use a shadow-box picture frame. I'd be a bit concerned about the weight, as those aren't designed to hold more than a few ounces. This might become a bit heavy.

A better alternative might be to be purchase a display case and scenic the inside of it. You could black out the top, one or both sides and the back with some black paint, drill a hole in the base and attach a strip or two of lights to the top or the top back corner, running the long side of the case.

The display case base could also serve as your substrate for the base itself, although it might still be wise to use a thin piece of foamcore to attach everything to. As Donn suggested, you could fabricate a gaurdrail using Plastruct or basswood. Turn 4 Hobbies in West Boylston, Master Hobbies in Leicester and The Spare Time Shop in Marlborough carry those materials.

If you'd like, as we're not too far from each other, we can sit down and I can give you a diagram of what I'm describing. I'm free Friday for most of the day.

Charlie Larkin

The display case that would probably work best is one of the roughly 12-inch-square ones that various Michael's and A.C. Moore carry.