Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratching the surface,1936 Bentley Saloon

kennb

Thanks to all those commenting and watching,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,tomorrow I am going to post piccys of the tires and hood in the correct colours for your approval.....................they are in the paint dryer over night so I dont get piddy prints on them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,like I normally do.... :P The body is progrssing and ready for final primer and will post piccys of that sonetime in the next day or so,,,,,Painting takes a long time since I try to leave it dry 2 or 3 days between colours :rolleyes:

DSCN4602_zps7395e62d.jpg

Thank you for the comments, They are appreciated,,,,,thanks for the comment on the colour,,,,I WAS NOT SURE but needed to go a different colour than the green.................... I ahould have the exterior more omplete and bas coloured this next week,,,,,,,working on the mercedes,,,,fords,,,and diorama ,,,have some great things I am working on coming up in the future,,,,another very long build..... :rolleyes:

DSCN4709_zps07173d34.jpg

casting in colour....................

1933 MG K3 CAST ENGINES FOR THE RACING TEAM

i SPENT THIS AFTERNOON PLAYING WITH CASTING THE ENGINE BLOCKS THERE IS MORE WORK BEFORE THEY ARE READY BUT NOW GETTING THE HANG OF IT

They are very complicated and even has a free floating bar on the right hand part to drive the generator,,,,,

have made some adjustments to the mold to get consistent and better castings...,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DSCN4712_zpsed3de014.jpg

DSCN4711_zps45a348e1.jpg

DSCN4713_zpsc4d4cf22.jpg

Thank you Skip :)

I have not done any bodies yet.....so far just one peice molds.....the engine is one piece split mold and it is not solid..i.e. i just swirled it around the mold so it is semi hollow inside.....I am not sure about 2 piece molds for bodies yet although I have some I would like to do.................

It takes time to get a good casting of molds that are that are that details since there is a lot of undercuts....wrap cuts......interior splits,,,ect..everything they tell you NOT to do :D you have to work fast to make sure every area is filled and be very carefull extracting the final part so you dont destroy the mold....I may be able to get 6 to 10 good casts from the mold.

If you follow the link below to

my diorama (sp) build the assembled engine is in the background.

Edited by kennb

The shop still is not set up and the canterary crane is not installed but MG saw fit to ship 3 bare bodies to thee shop....so now all they do is take up space,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :huh:

DSCN4729_zps85313cf8.jpg

thanks to all those following along with my builds ................one day they will get all done :rolleyes:

Spent yesterday casting up some more parts for the K3 series. Have the firewall, grill shell, and fuel tank done. Still a long ways to go..I have not done much else since I was cleaning up the yard most of the day :P

DSCN4731_zps0f882d40.jpg

DSCN4732_zpsf800cd3e.jpg

the grill shell needs some clean up and is probably the hardest piece to cast in a 1 part mold....I may have exceeded the limits of what one can cast without a 2 part mold,which the shell should be.......the tanks are semi hollow on the back side....

Thanks for veiwing and comments and suggestions are welcome.........

The crew has been busy dispite the shop is not ready but they could not wait to start the first K3 .... :P

DSCN4737_zps561be80e.jpg

DSCN4740_zpsbaafcbbc.jpg[/url

Thanks to all those following along with the diverse vehicles under comstruction..........

Edited by kennb

Thank you ......I need 3 of the K3's plus parts ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :P it is easier than the initial one since I am casting 90% of the cars,,,,,,

I am going to post some colour checks for the Bentley and the Ford sedan later,,,,be sure to check back....

DSCN4741_zpsaf71add6.jpg

DSCN4743_zps3b8b51d1.jpg

Thank you for the comments,,,,,,for building a lot of the parts and casting it still has the handcrafted look but less time that is for sure......some parts can be down right frustrating............... :P

Colour check on the Bentley.......Just need to do a good sanding and get the next colour coats on all the parts...................sand,,,wait,,,paint wait,,,,,,,tape paint wait,,,,,,,tape paint wait,,,,,,,colour sand wait,,,,,,,,,, :D

DSCN4748_zps685dfd42.jpg

The Bentley is comin' along beautifully. Keep up the great work. I had the chance to see a 1:1 Bentley of this era up close one. Gorgeous cars and very majestic in their own right. You are doing it such justice. Keep the updates comin'! B)

Thanks Jason,,,,,,nice to know someone is following this yet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Letting paint set up good then to finish the interior and get it painted so I can finish it up.

Spent this weekend on the K3's Made masters for the hood and cast them up,,very complicated 1 piece mold for the hood that came out ok.........

DSCN4751_zps8839a5c5.jpg

Need to clean things up on the 3 bodies and send them off to paint.......Ordering decals for the numbers and flags this week..................

Also bought a fish tank at a garage sale to make up a racing scene with them......Now will have to make up a few more for the diorama :P