Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratching the surface,1936 Bentley Saloon

kennb

Got the 32's in the mail today for checking the 30 body,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,seems that the body is .40 thsds off on the rear cutouts,,,otherwise it is dead on.............. :) this is on the AMT fenders.

DSCN4505_zps14d1ed8b.jpg

DSCN4506_zps0bd24d98.jpg

DSCN4507_zps4cd75d40.jpg

:P

The Revel does not fit as good,,,,,but close...I will make a few modifications to make it fit the AMT perfect.....about 20 minutes worth of work. Then I will finish the trim on the body and procced ahead on it. B)

A little ditty I have been working on the last 2 days going to the paint shop and the electrical shop.............................under glass next week when the paint is dry. :rolleyes:

DSCN4514_zps185786a5.jpg

DSCN4515_zps65d3b3e7.jpg

totally scratch,,,of course with no fillers............................. B)

Thanks for the comments,,,sometimes when no one comments I get the feeling that others are getting bored with my posts....... :P

The ford got sliced in half and 3mm added down the middle to fit the AMT fenders.

DSCN4516_zps4cfa5070.jpg

DSCN4518_zps1eb5d03e.jpg

DSCN4517_zps07e3b4c8.jpg

A little more sanding and some filler will be neededd to make it perfect...but getting closer :rolleyes:

Section 7...body cut out and assembly has been added to the K3 challenge. <_<

Edited by kennb

I'm not getting bored, really enjoying seeing how you're stretching your skills.

I've been working on ways to add lights to my builds without having to have the power source (battery) actually inside the model, this means a display base with contact points or inductive power transmission. A bit of planning and experimentation will be involved.

I suggest lining your LED sockets with foil to reduce/eliminate light getting out where you don't want it.

Mike,,,thanks for the observtions,,,,,,I aquired a doll house lighting kit today with the foil wire and all and maybe will try to get something in the base for that.....will get into that again in a bit :P

Going back to the Bentlel,,,,I have been toying with the cincept of making ribber tires and more accurate wires for it. In this vain I made up a new 3 piece rim assembly and am going to case the rims and hubs then make up a better wire....Also I will make up a nice tire and case that.....I am wondering it I couls use the RTV for them,,,,if anyone casts their own rubber tires I would appreciate any ideas on that. :huh:

DSCN4521_zpse5cfa816.jpg

DSCN4526_zps43663f33.jpg

DSCN4527_zps2ed9ea70.jpg

here is the frame for the mold and the RTV poured in place....I made a seperate mold for the hub since is is deeper than the rims...a conservation move so I dont use so much RTV material. ;)

DSCN4528_zps9dd598a1.jpg

DSCN4529_zps495921c4.jpg

I will now set that aside to set up and do a few pulls and make up a few trial wires with the new materials.......Then post them side by side so you can see where I am going with this process.

I decided to cast some parts since I have a few larger projects coming up and will need a few dozen wires and I can cast them instead of making them 1 by 1...................also If I cast the rims and tires they will be more consistent. :D

the layered look is actually closer to the real article. I have TR4 wire wheels in 48, 60 and 72 spoke configs, naturally the 72 spoke wheels were the strongest and most likely used for racing.

I haven't researched Bentley wires but I expect they're at least 60 spoke and have a very recognizable pattern that can be duplicated in scale.

It may require a new lacing jig or a new style of lacing.

64 it is...............thank you,,,it was my choice too....... I might try on one car 72.......................... :P

Tire test,,,,,,quick tire resin casting.......it is split in the center front and back casting glued together............not sure if I can get rubber or not......................I will make up a better tire for the final product.

DSCN4543_zps5fb8b20a.jpg

:rolleyes:

Edited by kennb

For the 30's they had a little narrower look to them,,,,,I also have some comstraints that I have to take into consideration for the bentley.....I can have several types of tires for the wire rims too....I do apprecaite comments of all types because I know it is just to make a better model........................... :rolleyes:

I absolutely love watching scratch building made to look soooo easy! Some skills Ken, every post a lesson. Thank you for sharing.

FWIW: Not saying I can do what Ken does, but watching what he does makes me attempt to try his techniques. If I fabricate a splendid alternator bracket, it most likely was inspired by something much more elaborate, such as building a body (!) from sheets of plastic the size of a coffee table. It just takes effort and desire once being shown.

To quote the late Boyd Coddington:

"Perfection is not impossible, it just takes longer to do"

Thanks again Ken

BTW: Those wire wheels are to die for ....... B)

Edited by FASTBACK340

John...thank you for the comments.....you point out one of the main reasons I post heavy and with a lot of imformation on construction.

If you just try to make that bracket or valve cover you want I have accomplished what I intend, I dont expect everyone to spend 3 months of a year scratch building one car...I have over 200 hours in the MG saloon,,,maybe closer to 300. If you make that seat or wheel or bracket you want instead of saying I wish then mission finished....

Thanks again to all those following along with this and stcik with my as I go off on a different direction that seems off the pathway way to a finished Bentley. Each post and direction is an effort to learn something new that will be applied to the finsihed product that streatches the boundries of my humble talents. Not everything I do is perfect and you will see imperfections but the end product is what is insight. Sure it could be better and the next one will be, but when the entire car is done you will not see the blemish or slight imperfection,,,,,it is the overall product that is in sight..

One to new tires....I think the picture will tell the story here.

DSCN4548_zps7a34f633.jpg

DSCN4546_zps538239ee.jpg

DSCN4547_zps9be8afbe.jpg

:rolleyes:

Edited by kennb

I was asked a question on another thread I am doing and think that others that dont follow it might be interested in it.

Where do you find the plans for what you build?

I spend a lot of time searching out drawings. I use the search engines and use the car name and drawings,,(i usually use the images option),,,it gets some information,,,,,

also use blueprints.com as a starting place. They are heavy on the exotics and rarities and newer cars. Color schemes are harder but if you type in the car name and use the images option you can glean some information there.

Older cars that are popular have more information posted than obscure cars......I will search for hours sometimes and get very little but each piece is saved and then assembled into a file for each car I work on. I currently have about 10 cars that I am searching information on and saving each bit into the file. The K3 has so much information on line that it was an easy one,,,I also have a lot of drawings for the K3 in my own collection of books and prints, so it was a no brainer.......

There is also a lot of intuition and base knowledge that is used in building something from scratch when you have little to go from.

This can also apply to when you are just looking for additional information on a kit you are working on for ideas and basic information..

Key words I use are

drawings

plans

specifications

blueprints

I hope that helps some..

I had to rework the front fenders so they fit better and looked better,also got the running board fit to the body correctly now,,,,,,, :rolleyes: just a little transition to fit.

DSCN4551_zpsae2dc904.jpg

DSCN4552_zps692182f5.jpg

Thanks for the comments and suggestions,,,they are always welcome.. :P

the front end is done except for some sanding and final adjustments to the hood.....Might get the bug sprayer out and blast on some primer on the fenders this week end yet. :P

I have some more work to do on the rear fenders to get them fitting right.........................

DSCN4555_zpsf72d95fc.jpg

DSCN4554_zps6b9b2907.jpg