Model Cars Magazine Forum

It ain't new. A "ONE" barrel carburetor ?

maybe i dont get it...one barrel carbs are quite common on vws and other "foreign" cars, or were back when carburetor induction systems were used on cars.

You got it. That's the point. One barrels used to be small little carbs found on small little cars. This is a full tilt race carb. One blade. One barrel.

sv1black1.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers

So Mark, is there a venturi at all? It looks like a straight bore in the photos. It also looks like there are conventional tip-in ports on the throat wall...or are those the accelerator-pump discharge holes?

And what do the brass tubes do? Do they take up the function of the auxiliary venturis ? Or is the pump discharge from the brass cross-tubes??

I always thought multi-barrel carbs were so for better drivability on the street... 2 barrels for general around town puttering and all 4 when you want to go fast. Not an issue on a drag car... so why would a 1-barrel carb be an unusual or "new" idea in a drag application? Isn't the whole point to ram as much fuel/air into the engine as you can?

What am I missing?

yes, there's a venturi, one Reaaaaaaaaaaaal big one. the brass tube replace the "squirters" on your typical holley which disrupt airflow and create turbulence, as does splitting the air charge into 4 streams (4 venturi)

SV1b600.jpg

as this picture shows harry, I doubt moving air is a concern for this carb.

http://www.prosystemsracing.com/svseries.html

Edited by MachinistMark

Guest G Holding

I always thought multi-barrel carbs were so for better drivability on the street... 2 barrels for general around town puttering and all 4 when you want to go fast. Not an issue on a drag car... so why would a 1-barrel carb be an unusual or "new" idea in a drag application? Isn't the whole point to ram as much fuel/air into the engine as you can?

What am I missing?

I would tend to agree, BUT I am not an engineer that can talk for hours about velocity, pressure, NADA. But I do know that a motor is a big air pump...get it in and get it out. But in racing, even drag you have to get the mass moving, overcoming gravity using inertia. BUT the first one to the end wins...Injection also has a "squirter" for each cylinder and because each cylinder is a bit different you need to tune the pump and if ALL work perfect, you win.

Wish it was simple....Gas, Alcohol, Nitro,Propane, Nitrous...all have different needs....

Don't start with 1 coil vs 8 now.... :rolleyes: :P

Guest G Holding

yes, there's a venturi, one Reaaaaaaaaaaaal big one. the brass tube replace the "squirters" on your typical holley which disrupt airflow and create turbulence, as does splitting the air charge into 4 streams (4 venturi)

as this picture shows harry, I doubt moving air is a concern for this carb.

http://www.prosystemsracing.com/svseries.html

But what manifold do you need.....?? Call WIL$$$ON...Looks much sweeter than the old standby..930cfm Predator

p3.jpg

cheffer2smallweb.jpg

Sure looks fast!

Edited by G Holding

What am I missing?

Yes, in principal they are as most are set up to open the second set of barrels progressively in essence you are running around on a two barrel carb until you tromp on the gas. Many of the tri-power setups are set up to run on the middle carb then depending on the linkage a second and then third carb comes on the harder the gas pedal is depressed. I have seen some set up to run on one then on all three at about 3/4 +/- open of the center, coming on all the way when the pedal is on the floor.

When I got my '65 GTO it's Tripower linkage was set up in the 2 + 4 (barrels open) set up, it ran much better when changed to a progressive 2 + 2 + 2 set up. Basic idea was to give performance with a degree of economy (even when gas was .27 cents the average guy was making $2 - $4 an hour, much like prices Vs wages today).

That one barrel carb's discharge tubes look more like shower heads, looks like it can supply a lot of air and fuel in a hurry.

Bill, yes indeed those metering blocks look like Holley's design, one end probably feeds one tube and the opposite feeds the other. Sure does look smooth enough to shove a whole lot of air down the throat.