Model Cars Magazine Forum

GMC 9500 Short Hood (AITM) with Tube Trailer (Scratch Built)

When I started modeling I found a book that was written by a master ship builder, it is a very good book, after looking at all the pictures and returning it to the shelf for many years I stumbled upon it again, I normally build wood models, I read it, this man had a section that really took me aside, the section was on clamping, this can be a very frustrating issue when assembling, well almost everything, with the plastic I found myself re inventing everything I've learned about clamping, looking now at your tools, well it seems you've mastered this as well.

Jürgen, thanks for the great explanation. Your technique doesn't seem to be too difficult provided that one has the required tools. But this is the problem, unfortunately I don't have a XY-table and I am afraid it would be way too expensive for me. Do you see any chance to cope without it? 

Dan, Ken, thanks for your replies!

Jürgen, thanks for the great explanation. Your technique doesn't seem to be too difficult provided that one has the required tools. But this is the problem, unfortunately I don't have a XY-table and I am afraid it would be way too expensive for me. Do you see any chance to cope without it? 

I am afraid there is no alternative.

For a nice result

• all grille bars must be absolutely parallel

• the distances between all grille bars must be identical

• horizontal and vertical grille bars must form exact 90° angles

• you have to mill/cut vertical 0.5mm slots into the grill frame and into the horizontal 0.5mm grille bars

IMO this cannot be achieved manually.

Mostly X-Y-tables like mine are used by hobby woodworkers. Maybe you know someone ?

If this is not the case and the grille is the only remaining obstacle it would be no problem to mill the grooves for you if you send me the baseplate/grille frame assembly.

• 4 years later...