Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Impala/ Really a 67 custom

59 Impala

I am a gluten for punishment fer sure. I got this car from a friend and it is the worst glue bomb that I have ever seen. There is so much glue on the back of the seats that it is literally dripping off of the seats. Everything was glued together with looks like a tube of glue for every piece. LOL. Not really, but a lot of glue was used. The seats are glued with so much glue that they are melted together and the bottoms are on backwards. I was going to use the hood for the 67 cause that's what I thought it was in the first place but I found out that it isn't a 67. So, I started to see if I could take it apart and here are some pics of how it looks.

IMG_0482_zps5f8a1a22.jpg

IMG_0483_zps09d50af7.jpg

You can see a glob of glue dripping off of the left seat here.

IMG_0485_zps17890921.jpg

IMG_0486_zpse918ee8e.jpg

I'll post more pics of this. I am going to try ans save it. It will have to be a custom of some sort though. Not sure where this is going yet. Thanks fer lookin. :D Dan

Edited by 59 Impala

WOW! That is a glue bomb Dan! At least you can ditch the seats and save the interior. Looks like the dash may be tough to work with. You might be able to replace the pad with one from the '67. Good news on the chassis. MPC used the same chassis from at least '68 through '76 with only minor revisions to the front splash area. They also made an exhaust change when they went to catalytic converters. But, the rest of the chassis is exactly the same. So, a new chassis will be easy to come up with. I restored a '68 promo some time ago. It wasn't nearly that rough. I noticed that yours has a different trim level than mine does. Mine has the belt line chrome rub strip and a thin chrome strip at the rockers. Yours doesn't have the beltline chrome rub strip (or was it removed) and the wide chrome strip at the rockers that looks like it extends up onto the bottom of the doors. Very interesting. Could be the difference between the kit and the promo. I can help you out with a new grille from the Modelhaus already detail painted if you want it.

Edited by plowboy

Thanks guys. I don't really know how I'm going to build this yet. I'm not into low riders, so that's out. Plowboy, thanks for the information about this kit. This body doesn't even have a trunk line so I don't know what the difference in yours and this is. There is no belt line on this body. I wounder if this was a custom only kit. I can't wait to see how this one turns out. :lol: Here are some more pics that I took last night.

The glass is toast.

IMG_0487_zpsed823c72.jpg

The only way to get the firewall out was to cut the cowl out with it. I can save both this way.

IMG_0488_zpsb38ac35e.jpg

This is what the grill and tail lights looked like before I worked on them.

IMG_0491_zps723aca2f.jpg

Here they are in the purple pond taking a bath.

IMG_0500_zps18bd1fc2.jpg

More pics coming. Thanks fer lookin. :) Dan

Now that I see the other parts, it's definitely a '67 Impala and not a '68. I was beginning to wonder when I looked at the interior and body a little closer. So, you were right in the first place Dan. That body definitely does have the '68 gills on the fenders. But, that's the only thing it has from a '68. I love restorations. So, I'll be watching just the same.

Thanks guys. Roger, if this is a 67 it doesn't look like the other 67's that I have. The others are much different all around. The chassis, body moldings and hood are different. The ones that I have are AMT. Who made this one? I'm confused now fer sure. Did AMT make two different kits? I was wondering if this one is a custom only kit because there is no trunk engraved on it. Strange fer sure. Any info on this is wanted and appreciated. :) Dan

Thanks guys, and looks like you're right James. This one had the rear window cut out and needs to be fixed also. This is getting pretty exciting. I might have gotten in kinda deep with this one. We'll see as I plan on continuing working on it. :) I like a challenge and this looks like it sure is one. Dan

Thanks guys. Roger, if this is a 67 it doesn't look like the other 67's that I have. The others are much different all around. The chassis, body moldings and hood are different. The ones that I have are AMT. Who made this one? I'm confused now fer sure. Did AMT make two different kits? I was wondering if this one is a custom only kit because there is no trunk engraved on it. Strange fer sure. Any info on this is wanted and appreciated. :) Dan

I'm pretty sure the maker of your model was MPC. The chassis is identical to mine. What makes me sure it's a '67 is the rear bumper/tail lights (the '68 bumper is straight across the top without the dip in the middle), the shape of the quarter panel caps (the '68 is a little shorter in height), the lack of side marker lights, the shape of the front fenders at the front, lack of a header panel between the front fenders (the '68 has a header panel that is fairly thick), the shape of the custom grille and the interior (the '68 has a pretty big,tall grille and the interior has a completely different pattern and console). I know there was a custom version of the '67, but I don't know if it was custom only or not. IIRC, it had an insert that filled in the rear window completely. I've only seen a couple of them on ebay. Here's some photos of my '68 under construction:

The interior: no progress photos of it. Note the console and door/quarter panel pattern

009-15.jpg

Here's a couple of the body that show the grille and rear bumper

006-1_zps999ee4d7.jpg

003-17_zpse7e2b2fc.jpg

Nice 68 you got there Roger. I think we got this one figured out now. It looks like Irvin Arter Jr. has this kit built. It was sold as a 68 but the rear end looks like the 67. It is a custom only by the looks of it. His is a great lookin build also. I looked in his Fotki folder and saw some pic of it. Looks like a combination of a 67 and a 68. This is going to be somethin else fer sure. Thanks for your help with this. :) Dan

I looked up the 67 and 68 Impala's on Google images and it is a 67. The hood goes all the way to the front of the grill where as the 68 is a pancake stile grill. Of course the rear tail lights are the 67 on this car. I think this clears this up now. I'll still build it as some kind of custom. Later with more pics to come. :) Dan

Yeah, it's definitely an AMT kit. Maybe they shared chassis' with the MPC kits? I saw the box on Irvin Arter's Fotki album and the box plainly states Chevrolet for '68 and it shows a stock version on the side of the box. Maybe Chevrolet had planned on making the '68 like that, then later changed it? AMT may have been too far into the tooling and decided to offer it as a custom only? It sure raises a lot of questions. One photo on the box that shows the front end reminds me of a '69. This is a great find regardless of what year it actually is and I'm sure you'll do it justice Dan.

Another cool project Dan!

I knew about these AMT '67 fastbacks that were supposed to be custom '68s, but had only seen the box, never the contents. A quick search on eBay shows this one of quite a few that have sold recently:

$(KGrHqJ,!rYFE37(0QwzBRfqW2I!sw~~60_57.J

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-AMT-BUILT-1-25-SCALE-1967-FOR-1968-CHEVY-IMPALA-HARDTOP-ORIGINAL-ANNUAL-KIT-/400476813820?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item5d3e4739fc&nma=true&si=lxkxMv6SxQ99%2BvZXtdCrwYIrKSk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Good luck, you've got your work cut out for you! ;)

I would like to have one of these myself! I've been wanting to build a '67 Impala as a custom for a while now! This gives me some good ideas to start with! The filled in rear window is a little too much. But, I like the grille and rear end treatment.