Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mechanical mistakes when building

I just find it amusing and perhaps ironic that in a forum where honesty in building critique tends to get people pilloried to the point most people here are either scared or disinterested in participating in actually encouraging the growth of their fellow modeler in correcting actual MISTAKES in technique and increasing overall skill sets, we see threads like this one that pop up discussing the most minute of mechanical detailing nonsense like proper firing order.

We have had plenty of threads over the years covering building errors like the ones you mentioned. And ones covering the do's and don'ts of critiques.

I started this one for people to talk about detailing that can help people build in a way that makes the car look mechanically correct. I'm glad you are amused. <_<

Just between you, me and the lamppost Harry we all know there are builds shown here that have glue emanating from joints, joints that are gaping/misaligned, finger prints in places and in media that shouldn't exist, hand painted trim (especially black trim) that looks like it was applied like the lady did her make-up during the landing in "Airplane!", and paint jobs themselves that could be used for Lunar Landing training. Yet more often than not those builds also have a litany of "Awesome build", "Beautiful model", etc attached to them. Yet there are a couple of people around here who live to point out in "Under Glass" threads that an otherwise cleanly built model would "look better with plug wires"..

The fact that some people post phony praise while others post honest critiques doesn't really apply to the topic of this thread.

Yes, and the operative word in that excerpt (or is that too big of a word for you) is SHOULD!! I am by no means with that statement trying to force my opinions or building style on anyone! If you or anyone else wants to add extra detail and get it wrong, that's fine by me, it's not sitting on my shelf!!

If you are going to ridicule my command of the English language, you could at least use correct grammar yourself; 1.e. the word 'of'. Also, I would respectfully look up the word 'should' and see how the use of it applies to your comment. And, again...I stand by my comment. Build the way you want; don't castigate ( is that word to big for you?; to use your phrase) Don't out others down for building how they want - not how you think they SHOULD. I'm done with this....you want to continue, go join IPMS.

What is wrong with some of you?

I thought this thread was to be about obvious errors in representing real mechanical function that some of the more inexperienced builders might make, or those that had limited 1:1 knowledge or exposure...and I thought it was intended to help guys who might WANT to get it right.

The degeneration into bickering is pathetic, especially for a bunch of supposedly 'adult' men.

We have had plenty of threads over the years covering building errors like the ones you mentioned. And ones covering the do's and don'ts of critiques.

I started this one for people to talk about detailing that can help people build in a way that makes the car look mechanically correct. I'm glad you are amused. <_<

Help is usually better received when asked for. All to often these threads come unsolicited and attempt to force feed information on a somewhat regular basis to people that are happy doing what they're doing. Just another case of negative adult influence driving people away from a pleasant past time.

Help is usually better received when asked for. All to often these threads come unsolicited and attempt to force feed information on a somewhat regular basis to people that are happy doing what they're doing. Just another case of negative adult influence driving people away from a pleasant past time.

So I guess those of us who take time to post tutorials should just not bother? Help not asked for, you know?

DSC00346-vi.jpg

Back when I first finished this model I brought it to a meeting and put it on the table. Almost instantly a guy who lives to point out errors jumps up and tells me that the grill for this year Ramcharger was silver not black. I just looked at him and said, "Yea, but it's my truck and if I had it in 1:1 I would paint the friggin grill black!" Done deal.

Harry- Please note that it does have mirrors! :)

Edited by Tom Geiger

So I guess those of us who take time to post tutorials should just not bother? Help not asked for, you know?

I think there is a section here for those and I think that is probably where I would turn looking for this sort of thing. Perhaps threads like this would better reach it's intended target in that section rather than in the General area. They don't usually end well in the General area as we've seen here......again.

all of this over little plastic toy cars?????

The definition of a model is a scaled down replica of the real thing, yes they are plastic but no they aren't "toy cars"

bunch of grown men arguing over a child's hobby.....

I find this very offensive because this "childs hobby" is more of an adult hobby, im 14 and possibly the youngest member of this forum so that means about 98% of this forum is made up of adults and about 2% is us teenagers so its not a childs hobby only its more of a adult hobby nowadays. My biggest question is if you think that all were doing here is building "toy cars" and arguing over a hobby for children then why are you here? are you here to question our authority to participate In this hobby?

Edited by Dragfreak

I think there is a section here for those and I think that is probably where I would turn looking for this sort of thing. Perhaps threads like this would better reach it's intended target in that section rather than in the General area. They don't usually end well in the General area as we've seen here......again.

You may very well be right, as it seems unreasonable to expect consistently mature and respectful behavior and relevant responses from some members. Still, it's not the fault of the THREAD, or the guy who posted the thread, or WHERE the thread is, but rather it's the fault of those members who insist on acting like children, in spite of this being an adult-hobby oriented board.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I really think the point of this thread has been lost (or discarded) by those that would rather find a reason to argue than participate in a discussion on detailing a model car. I don't see anything useful coming out of this so I'm going to end it here. I'd hate to force-feed anyone information anyway.