Model Cars Magazine Forum

A question for vintage pro stocks

dragnut

... which is essentially a stock floor pan with a too small 7.5" axle and ladder bars. Pretty sure by that point the cars were back halved and partially tube framed from the firewall back. You could try Scale Modeling By Chris for a four link set up with the 9" ixle for the rear.

I'm not sure when four links started being used but the early Pro Stocks in the 70's used ladder bars.

The Mustang II Firefighter chassis may be a good start since it's back halved. The rear axle can be changed or not but it seems to be a decent starting point to build an era correct 70's Pinto.

I think full tube chassis cars came around 1974.

I'm not sure when four links started being used but the early Pro Stocks in the 70's used ladder bars.

The Mustang II Firefighter chassis may be a good start since it's back halved. The rear axle can be changed or not but it seems to be a decent starting point to build an era correct 70's Pinto.

I think full tube chassis cars came around 1974.

...fair enough. I have not done extensive research, and you may be very right. The Firefighter chassis could work, but with some mods. Some scratch building some rear half frame rails are going to get it closer to realistic. No way ladder bars would be bolted to a stamped steel pan in a Pinto or Mustang II like the kit portrays. I modified the one sitting on my bench right now because of this reason. OP which car are you trying to replicate and from what year?

Scalemodelingbychris used to sell a resin Pinto pro stock kit, and a pro stock Mustang II as well.

They still do. The only thing is the kits represent a full chassis with a four link that doesn't look to be era correct. I'm not 100% sure what year Pro Stock started using the four link setup.

Check out this photo of the Mustang II:

http://public.fotki.com/VincePutt/archive/drag-racing/pro-stock/mustang-ii-prostocks/gappandroushmustang-4.html

also on the album pages are some great pics of the Mustang II chassis.

I've tried to find pictures of Dyno Don's Pinto but can't. The early 70's were an era of experimentation. Most of the early experimentation used ladder bars like the Logghe funny cars. By 1973-74, four links were common under Chrysler cars. If you would tell us which car you were working on, maybe someone with specific knowledge on that car or vintage articles could confirm the actual set-up.

Check out this photo of the Mustang II:

http://public.fotki.com/VincePutt/archive/drag-racing/pro-stock/mustang-ii-prostocks/gappandroushmustang-4.html

also on the album pages are some great pics of the Mustang II chassis.

I've tried to find pictures of Dyno Don's Pinto but can't. The early 70's were an era of experimentation. Most of the early experimentation used ladder bars like the Logghe funny cars. By 1973-74, four links were common under Chrysler cars. If you would tell us which car you were working on, maybe someone with specific knowledge on that car or vintage articles could confirm the actual set-up.

In this link below is the Pinto Pro Stock folder that has pictures of Dyno Don's Pinto as well as many others.

http://public.fotki.com/VincePutt/archive/drag-racing/pro-stock/pinto-ps/