Matt Bacon

Just the body painted so far:
bodyshell1-XL.jpg
bodyshell4-XL.jpg
bodyshell3-XL.jpg
and a couple in the sun:
bodyshell-sunlight1-XL.jpg
bodyshell-sunlight-2-XL.jpg
When I did my Moebius Iron Man, I was struck by how good the TS-39 Mica Red over TS-84 Metallic Gold looked, and I thought it was a pretty good match for the "electric red" of the SA Aperta. So I promoted this Modelzone bargain (£12.99) up the build list...
bestest,
M.

• 1 month later...

Things have been rather quiet on this one lately... holidays, plus a couple of 1/72 wingy-things to build. However, now I'm back to the bench seriously:

cockpit-XL.jpg

Humbrol Tank Grey, Tamiya NATO black, Citadel Chaos Black, Citadel Charadon Granite, and some Klear for the "Piano Black" shiny bits. The back of the seats even have carbon effects, though you'll never know!

mockup-4-XL.jpg

mockup-2-XL.jpg

mockup-1-XL.jpg

mockup-3-XL.jpg

A few mockups, just to see how it all looks. I think the effort required to do the body-colour strip on the dash was worth it. Apparently these cars are all intended to be spec'd up exactly as the owners want, so that no two are the same. My guy likes how piano black rather than carbon fibre looks, and i aiming for tasteful rather than bad-ass. He also thinks that if he has GTO power under the go-faster pedal, he'd better have GTO brakes under the go-slower pedal (the real thing doesn't have the same disk set-up as the GTO, but Revell have given us the same parts as in the other kit...)

bestest,

M.

Thanks, guys! Smudge? What smudge? ;-P
cockpit-nearly-done-1-XL.jpg
cockpit-nearly-done-3-XL.jpg
cockpit-nearly-done-2-XL.jpg
Cockpit is almost finished -- just the pedals and kick plate to add, which turned out to be chromed, so are going to be stripped and repainted. The red pinstripes are decals supplied in the kit. I thought that they would be a nightmare, but they turned out to be tough, the right shape, and to respond well to Micro Set and Sol. A light overlay of matt varnish blends them in.
wheels-done-XL.jpg
The wheel colour scheme is copied from the ones that the rather tasteful blue SA Aperta in Harry Metcalfe's Evo video blog is sporting (worth a Google if you like the look of the car...). Chrome silver callipers and the silver Cavallino wheel centres are rather restrained again. And as far as I can see, SA Aperta wheels are MEANT to be painted, rather than polished metal...
bestest,
M.

Thanks, guys...got the chassis built today:

chassis-2-XL.jpg
chassis-1-XL.jpg
Everything fits together very nicely, especially since after doing the GTO, I know how the radiator fits, tilted backwards.
body-on-chassis-trial-1-XL.jpg
Thought I'd try a test fit. Contrary to common belief, the wheel/tire sizes scale out very well, and the stance looks OK to me (the wheels need to be centred in the cut-outs).
go-kart-1-XL.jpg
go-kart-2-XL.jpg
... now it looks like an Ariel Atom...
rear-window-1-XL.jpg
rear-window-2-XL.jpg
Compare with the pic in the previous post. New window from acetate looks more in scale. I wish I understood how this glass works -- in the Harry Metcalfe Evo blog, the glass only comes half way up between the "roll hoops", but many photos on the web (notably the Geneva launch pics) show it all the way up, as in the kit. Does it retract as a whole? Do different cars have different profiles?
grille-1-XL.jpg
Grille de-chromed, painted black, silvered on the front edge and backed with mesh from the kit.
two-halves-XL.jpg
...it shouldn't be too long before these two assemblies come together... fingers crossed. ;-P
bestest,
M.

Thanks, guys... it's been a while, but finally, an update...

together-profile-XL.jpg
together-from-above-XL.jpg
together-front-right-XL.jpg
together-front-XL.jpg
That was earlier this week, but I only managed to get photos today. The fit of the chassis into the body is superb. One tip for anyone else building one: attach the mirror to the part for the windscreen interior before even painting them. The mirror attachment is tiny, and the mating surfaces are at the wrong angle, so it needs to be test fitted and trimmed until it's pointing the right way! I din't do this and attaching the darn thing took a long time and turned the air over my bench blue!
hoops-on-from-above-XL.jpg
hoopsfitted-XL.jpg
On the home straight now, I hope!
bestest,
M.

Thanks, guys... Dave, the SA Aperta is pretty much an open-top GTO. The windscreen's lower and more raked, and the body is stiffened up to account for the open top. It's pretty much the same engine, but in the Aperta body it's a tad slower-accelerating and a few mph off in top speed. They only made 80 of them, compared to 599 of the GTOs, which are therefore common by comparison! The SA is a tribute to Sergio and Andrea Pininfarina, who styled many of Ferrari's greatest hits. I think it's generally less "extreme" than the GTO, and a great car for cruising the hills above Nice...

Check out Harry Metcalfe's drive video here:

Turn the volume up!

(the piping on the seats is a decal on mine, and neat leatherwork on Harry's)

bestest,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon