Model Cars Magazine Forum

DETAILS, DETAILS,DETAILS...

Hello, I need help. I am building a 1/25 scale car. I would like to know what size and type of wire to buy? brake line ? gas/fuel line ? +/- battery cable? hook up coil? heater hose ? radiator hose ? THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU... Any other info will help greatly.( do not want to buy the kits that are out there, I plan detailing many cars in the future)

First time out, I'd look to the aftermarket to buy the items you need. Once you see the products, you may want to seek alternative (and maybe cheaper) sources. Go to eBay model car section and search for wire/hose. I found this starter set for $12:

!BjOGg9wBWk~$(KGrHgoOKjwEjlLmV5FdBLSn72S

I don't have experience with this vendor, but this gives you an idea of the different sizes we use. Also, I bought radio diodes from Radio Shack (many in a pack) that look like clear glass fuel filters with line attached. You may also look for prewired distributers, which are a little more money, but save you a lot of time and effort.

Do you know how to use Excel or a similar spread sheet? If so, what you should do is make up a spread sheet in the scale you are going to work in that gives you fractional sizes, such as 1 inch equals .042 inches. Run it in fractions for 1/4 inch to 3 inches in 1/4 inch steps. Then look at the real deal and see what are common sizes and colors for what you build. Then go by Radio Shack, your local crafts store electronics parts house and by a spool of what you need. You can generally get a near lifetime supply for very little. You can get them from hobby suppliers, but the mark up is significant and the only advantage is that they will tell you on the package what they scale out to. I suppose if you have unlimited money or don't know how to make a spread sheet, then you may want to go there.

And then there's the "actually understand scale and make a little effort" method. Buy a cheap digital caliper...$15. Buy a cheap calculator...$1.

Go out to your car, open the hood and MEASURE things like brake lines, fuel lines, etc. with the caliper. Divide that number by the denominator of whatever scale you're working in.

Example: Divide by 25 if you're working in 1/25 scale. If you measure a hose and it reads .5", divide by 25. That will give you .02". So you go to Michaels or another craft store and you buy .020" beading wire. Cheap for all you'll ever need.

Repeat with appropriate adjustments for other measurements or scales..

And then there's the "actually understand scale and make a little effort" method. Buy a cheap digital caliper...$15. Buy a cheap calculator...$1.

Go out to your car, open the hood and MEASURE things like brake lines, fuel lines, etc. with the caliper. Divide that number by the denominator of whatever scale you're working in.

Example: Divide by 25 if you're working in 1/25 scale. If you measure a hose and it reads .5", divide by 25. That will give you .02". So you go to Michaels or another craft store and you buy .020" beading wire. Cheap for all you'll ever need.

Repeat with appropriate adjustments for other measurements or scales..

I agree with Bill as far as buying wire at a craft store. Aftermarket wire is ridiculously overpriced. You can get a bigger selection for a fraction of the cost in the jewelry making aisle of Hobby Lobby.