Model Cars Magazine Forum

Howdy from CA

Route 66

Well, it seems to be a pretty familiar theme on this forum, but here goes. When I was a teenager, I'd take my allowance money each Friday and buy a model kit. I couldn't wait to get to the hobby store and pick one out. I usually went for cars such a the Munster Mobile etc. That was about 45 years ago and now I think it's time to get back into the hobby. I figured this was a good place to learn about what's new in model building and to find out what kits are popular now. I hope to learn a lot from you guys and I'm glad I found this place.

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Now that I'm back to modeling and I have a few more bucks than I did as a kid, I'd like to learn to airbrush my projects. I think that might be the key to making the exterior of my cars look a little more realistic than they did the first time I tried this hobby and used a brush to paint everything.

Welcome Steve! When I got back to the hobby as an adult, I joined a club and found some good coaches who brought me up to date as to available materials, tips and techniques. My models got way better very quickly. Now with a board like this, you can do that even quicker. Read all the threads, and if you have questions, just ask. The folks here are happy to help.

Thanks for the suggestions Tom. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a club near me here in Burbank but I'm gonna keep looking. In the meantime, I'll certainly be scouring this forum for how-to techniques that will hopefully bring me up to speed.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually there are some guys who were meeting at Autobooks on Magnolia a while back Steve. I don't know if they still do. That's where I picked up my 1st model kit in 1960. Dale King, my wife's cousin Henry Gonzalez and Charles Fox are a few of the guys. I live up in the Antelope Valley so it's a little far for me to come down for a model club meeting, but I have before. You could connect with Dale and Charles at the Yahoo GPMA group or stop by the shop and ask about it.