Model Cars Magazine Forum

question about working with acrylics

I'm going to be painting a car body for the first time with acrylic, water based paint. Is there a "gassing out" period with these before clearing, like with solvent based paints or can they be cleared as soon as it's dry? I realize that there isn't the solvent to gas out but not sure if it needs 5-10 day's like say enamels would.

I'm also planning on clearing this with pearl mixed into the clear coat. Will enamel clear thinned with lacquer react with the acrylic paint, or is it best to try something like Future as a clear coat since it's already acrylic itself?

I do plan on experimenting on plastic spoons some, but any guidance or personal experience is helpful. Thanks!

I have the same question as Ryan^^

I have a lot of acrylic paint from my r/c racing days and would like to use it up before spending a lot of $$$$$$ for lacquer or enamel paint. I do have an old bottle of Future that I never used on my floors and hope to use it up.

Any help for both of us would be appreciated.

Thanks

Richard

The only thing that you really need to worry about with acrylics is that they are completely dry before you clear coat. A half hour through the dehydrator or a hair dryer will solve that issue. I've shot and or brushed acrylic and clear coated within an hour or so and never had issues. With the paint at least!

Mixing that many mediums (acrylic paint, enamel clear, lacquer thinner) is asking for problems. Definitely test first. Not all acrylics or enamels are the same, either, so one person's experience will be different than the next.

I have used lacquer clear over Tamiya acrylics and it worked. I have used enamel over some acrylics that didn't work.

So...I guess I don't have a good answer..

I brush with acrylics exclusively and have shot all of the testors lacquer (dull, semi and various gloss) as well as Tamiya's gloss and matt clears with no issues. Both Testors and Tamiya acrylics. For spraying bodies it's almost all testors and or tamiya rattle cans. I've also shot ScaleFinishes acrylic ready to sprays and put lacquer of the top. Acrylics dry FAST so don't let your brushes sit out. Plus side is, paint, wait and hour, clear. I avoid enamels at all cost. Just not worth the hassle.

As a side not Tamiya's clear acrylic in a bottle is perfect for attaching photo etch parts or other small items in highly visible areas and makes GREAT gauge lenses