Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Plymouth Wagon...

Tom Geiger

MVC008S-vi.jpg

In the later part of the last century, back when you wouldn't hesitate to cut into one or three of these, I created the above long airport limo body. Nothing more was done to it, other than pull it out of the box to look at from time to time...

IMG_4233-vi.jpg

As things often happen, I decided to see what it would look like on wheels. the two chassis had been cut, but were never joined. I think I was over complicating the project, trying to find some current chassis to spliced into a detailed build. Well, I decided to just build it as a curbsider, so nobody will ever see this chassis, nor do I have to worry about it,

IMG_4234-vi.jpg

It looked good on wheels so I attacked the interior. All I had were three untouched tubs in the box. I had hesitated to do the cuts until after I had sorted out the chassis, but also because there is no flat bottom to it, which I anticipated making it difficult to square. Then I saw the top sill and it became pretty easy. Those are actually metal axles glued to the sides. Note that with 4 three passenger seats, I eliminated the rear facing seat so we'd have some room for cargo.

IMG_4235-vi.jpg

And I'm just keeping the standard Johan issue short leg interior. I had thought about cutting it all out and making real floors, but nah! Note the three different color interiors.

IMG_4236-vi.jpg

And a money shot! Here it is with the interior fitted in place. I had stretched it 74" in scale. There are still some body work details on the sides to make it all work.

This will be a band bus from the late 60s. I've already started amassing luggage and guitars.

Should we all mail you our unused Stacey David Rat Roaster guitars?

Thank you, but I have that kit plus I ordered a batch of resin guitars the last time I ordered from a caster. I have the luggage from 3 Johan '59 Rambler wagons set aside too. I will have a few key items where you can see them (why I cut out the rear facing seat) and guitars in the passenger seats. It will have a tarped roof rack like the old limos did, so I'll just need some shapes to go under the tarp. I recently found the old U-Haul trailer from the '62 Buick wagon kit, so that may get hitched behind for some additional equipment room. I'm thinking a country band so I can put Texas plates on it and steer horns. How about "Cal Perkins and the Texas Tea Party"??

Thanks Carl and Adam!

And Rich, the two campers are still in the upper corner of my bench. I do change gears, so the other night I was fiddling a bit with the Dodge Van camper. With this being a hobby and no pressure of deadlines etc, I do what catches my interest when I sit at the bench. Sometimes I'll do a step on a project, then put it back in the box. Not finished but it's one step closer for the next time... so what did I do with that Volare?

Edited by Tom Geiger