Model Cars Magazine Forum

2014 Cannonball Run CBP

Nick Winter

So this is my entry an amt gto which I am swapping the 455 for a 396\427 Chevy motor which is paired to a c6 ford trannie. I am trying to keep this period correct but there will be some modern things added.the paint scheme planned is going to be a brown to look like a normal le mans so it won't get pulled over but that could be subject to change.

post-13845-0-69895400-1405150814_thumb.j

Engine mock up and wheels

post-13845-0-98301800-1405150996_thumb.j

great progress everyone is making :D i've finally gotten started on my 79 z28.

003_zpsffec00ba.jpg

right off the bat, i don't like how room there is between the motor and firewall

005_zpsd8dabfda.jpg

006_zps5d3236d1.jpg

so we did a little cutting and reattachment of mounts to solve the problem

012_zps8d326c74.jpg

008_zpsb19db94a.jpg

013_zps1093c53a.jpg

014_zps100c789b.jpg

we'll be using the blown engine option but it WILL be contained beneath the hood. did considerable sanding/filing to; the bottom and top of the intake, top and bottom of the blower and the bottom of the carbs to get everything tucked down in as far as possible before starting on the hood

020_zps27aba322.jpg

wanted the hood to appear as stock appearing as possible

018_zps712b44f3.jpg

002_zps53665fa8.jpg

enjoy B)

Edited by knarf

Awesome stuff Niko, Brayden, Frank, and Tommey! I like everything I see.

As for me while polishing the body I ending up going too far and have had to respray the front pass. fender and trunk lid. The paint ending up going on darker this time around but it's okay with me. I think it gives it a nice "flawed charm", it's not meant to be a perfect big bugget show car to begin with. Just something a relatively regular person could have made to race across country. :)

Post61_zps19c97129.jpg

Post63_zpsa1bfa2d3.jpg

I also got the interior done, not having the decal sheet (or even knowing if it had dash decals for that matter). I decided to make my own dash cluster using Mopar Performence brand gauges.

Post76_zps62c800aa.jpg

Post74_zpsb63506b6.jpg

Keep up the great work you guys!

Good work folks.

I've got the Poncho engine bay glued into the Skyhawk and the bonnet & boot trimmed up to fit the holes.

I've stretched the interior to fit and now have to build up the sides of the boot to bridge the gap.

A big petrol tank should help to hide the surgery.

Bodywork next. Lots of sink marks to fill and mould separation lines to remove.

I might also try my hand at foil casting to preserve the badges and make sanding easier.

Very good work guys! :)

Finally got inspiration back to return my '64 Impala. Here's some photos what i've done in few days.

Engine is pretty close to finishing now. Headers was a big problem because front of frame is so narrow. Those headers were smallest what I found from my parts box and they fitted just between frame rails after some cutting. Still need to paint that fuel injection and couple small parts but after that engine is finally finished. B)

P7160100_zpsa6896ded.jpg

Frame is also painted and I've done some assembling because I wanted to see how it looks in four wheels.

P7160099_zpsc50e5cca.jpg

I've also opened those front inner fenders. Main reason for that was that Cannonball Run is a long race and engine is running very hot so now that supercharged big block is getting fresh air enough that overheating is not problem. And also it looks much meaner now. :lol:

P7160105_zps41d08785.jpg

Body is also painted and now it's drying and waiting clear coating and maybe some decals. Wheels and tires are from my parts box.

P7160104_zpsffab6cae.jpg

And for last one mock up pick.

P7160111_zps64261b56.jpg

Next body is going to get clear coated and interior is going to get some red paint. ;)

Awesome stuff Niko, Brayden, Frank, and Tommey! I like everything I see.

Thanks Jonathan! Your GTX is looking really nice, too. That front fender looks actually pretty good just like that, I mean that on a Cannonball Run car it could be so that the fender has been crashed and then repainted. B)

Finally got inspiration back to return my '64 Impala. Here's some photos what i've done in few days.

Great job on the Chevy, too! I like the Cowl Induction hood a lot and the wheel and tire combo works perfectly under that one. Now I need to make some progress with the Daytona so we'll get two cars from Finland to the starting line. ;)

But before that I'll watch the Cannonball Run movie to get some inspiration!

003-2.jpg

012.jpg

Dash is done,put a rollbar in it and some gauges i found on ebay,called 60/70s race gauges. It`s pretty much done

and will be under glass tomorrow if i can get some decent pictures. Last pic is childish but i thought it look cool lol

Nice progress guys.

This weekend I'll force myself to sit down and do some reading and updating.

As for the Fire-Am, well thats a bit of a secret ;) It has it's fire-breathing drivetrain in place, it's interior set up, and the exterior ready for paint. I just have suspension to deal with.

Nick

So this is my entry an amt gto which I am swapping the 455 for a 396\427 Chevy motor which is paired to a c6 ford trannie. I am trying to keep this period correct but there will be some modern things added.the paint scheme planned is going to be a brown to look like a normal le mans so it won't get pulled over but that could be subject to change.

12072014194.jpg

Engine mock up and wheels

12072014197.jpg

I recognize that trailer! Had a little metal truck with a golf cart right?

I recognize that trailer! Had a little metal truck with a golf cart right?

Yes your right it is from a tonka truck they came with different things on the trailer mine came with a go cart which I lost ages ago