Model Cars Magazine Forum

Newbie trying barn find style 67 Dodge Coronet

Dexter7713

I'm new to the world of detailed modeling and desperately want to build nothing but weathered or barn find style cars. Never even tried it before but here goes nothing. I'm using ideas out of my head until I grasp some of the techniques I've seen on this forum. Always loved this body style so I grabbed it. Opting out of the chip foose design for a more 60's-70's street/race look.

post-13414-0-35641000-1392519914_thumb.j

did some test fitting with the foose wheels first and hated it.

post-13414-0-04745000-1392519981_thumb.j

added the hemi scoop from a dart kit I had.

post-13414-0-51148400-1392520030_thumb.j

added some detail to the grille.

post-13414-0-09198100-1392520124_thumb.j

laid some flat over the chrome to dial it down a bit.

post-13414-0-67216800-1392520181_thumb.j

my take on worn out seats. It's far from great but it was a freebie so it will work for now. I used good old fashion medical tape.

post-13414-0-96238000-1392520261_thumb.j

it's looking pretty good. the seats look good as they are so don't take the tip im about to give you as knock against your work. one trick alot of modelers do is use chrome foil to make tears and then stuff the tear with some type of fill. if you don't have chrome foil then regular kitchen foil or even masking tape could work. before building your next junker play around alittle and find what works best for you.

keep up the good work and keep us up2date with your build

one more thing... if you find something another modeler did don't be afraid to ask how it was done. most modelers are more than willing to share their technique with others

Edited by Marcus M. Jones

it's looking pretty good. the seats look good as they are so don't take the tip im about to give you as knock against your work. one trick alot of modelers do is use chrome foil to make tears and then stuff the tear with some type of fill. if you don't have chrome foil then regular kitchen foil or even masking tape could work. before building your next junker play around alittle and find what works best for you.

keep up the good work and keep us up2date with your build

one more thing... if you find something another modeler did don't be afraid to ask how it was done. most modelers are more than willing to share their technique with others

Thanks for the tip. I'm working with limited parts tools and materials and want to try chrome foil just can't afford it now. But I will try it down the road. And I will take any help, tips, or advise I can get as a rookie and would never take it as a knock of my work. I am a new member and have spent the last 3 days 8-10 hours each on this forum. The talent is mind blowing. Almost knowledge overload. So I'm gonna just do one new trick or method at a time. I'm a slow learner so I figure with any luck each build will get a bit better. Thanks again for the encouragement.

I will be watching closely, I like the aged look. Never tried it myself only building my second build but may try some of this on this build.

Essentially it's all I want to build. I restored nostalgia super stockers with my uncle and loved the finished product but was amazed at the characture those old race cars had after sitting for 25-40 years. This is my second build. Had issues with the first build. And now just want to build what I like. Crusty and rusty 60's MOPARS and patched up rat rods.

Post a way these guys are great like I said I'm only working on my second build and a bunch of them have stepped up and given advice and lots of positive encouragement to help me. Ask questions they will answer great group of people here. Oh yea I love the old Mopars myself that's my 69 Hemi Cuda in my avitar.

Post a way these guys are great like I said I'm only working on my second build and a bunch of them have stepped up and given advice and lots of positive encouragement to help me. Ask questions they will answer great group of people here. Oh yea I love the old Mopars myself that's my 69 Hemi Cuda in my avitar.

I was raised around words like max wedge 440 6 pack and hemi so trust me I noticed the avatar as soon as u posted. LoL

Go on You Tube and look up rusty model cars, weathered model cars, and so on. It's pretty informative if you want to learn different techniques. Then you can fine tune one that works best for you.

Plus to ask Dr. Cranky on this forum or watch his vids on You Tube. Trust me it'll teach ya quite a bit!!

By the way, what ya got is looking great so far....

Got the chassis mocked up with suspension and correct wheels and tires. Got the hood fit. Grille fit. Sanded off all badges hit it with 320 wet gonna be laying primer soon. Paint the car blue then adding rust and discoloration. What's the best method for doing rust and dents for a beginner. And feedback would be greatly appreciated.

At one point the viper motor was going in it until I decided to weather it out with dents rust and all around awesomeness.

post-13414-0-63743500-1392527533_thumb.j

Go on You Tube and look up rusty model cars, weathered model cars, and so on. It's pretty informative if you want to learn different techniques. Then you can fine tune one that works best for you.

Plus to ask Dr. Cranky on this forum or watch his vids on You Tube. Trust me it'll teach ya quite a bit!!

By the way, what ya got is looking great so far....

Thanks for the advise and kind words

to start , those seats and bumpers look great ..

so no need to talk yourself down , then we all started somewhere , one thing will help you if you restored cars you have like the knowledge how stuff looked before and you know how to put stuff together ..

i would read up on the salt technique paint wise if you want to buils crusty rods or barnfind cars ..

also chipped paint tutorials are out there ..

in the end i think you can also just try stuff that worked for me , everybody has their own style ... and if this is you as a newby to modelbuilding i think you will show us awsome result very soon :)

like the way the seats and bumpers are done that takes > having an eye for that stuff ..

anyway have fun because weathering modelcars for me is the most fun build wise ...

Edited by crazyrichard

to start , those seats and bumpers look great ..

so no need to talk yourself down , then we all started somewhere , one thing will help you if you restored cars you have like the knowledge how stuff looked before and you know how to put stuff together ..

i would read up on the salt technique paint wise if you want to buils crusty rods or barnfind cars ..

also chipped paint tutorials are out there ..

in the end i think you can also just try stuff that worked for me , everybody has their own style ... and if this is you as a newby to modelbuilding i think you will show us awsome result very soon :)

like the way the seats and bumpers are done that takes > having an eye for that stuff ..

anyway have fun because weathering modelcars for me is the most fun build wise ...

Perfectly said Rich!!!!

Thanks for the advise and kind words

You're welcome, can't wait to see how this progresses...

to start , those seats and bumpers look great ..so no need to talk yourself down , then we all started somewhere , one thing will help you if you restored cars you have like the knowledge how stuff looked before and you know how to put stuff together ..i would read up on the salt technique paint wise if you want to buils crusty rods or barnfind cars ..also chipped paint tutorials are out there ..in the end i think you can also just try stuff that worked for me , everybody has their own style ... and if this is you as a newby to modelbuilding i think you will show us awsome result very soon :)like the way the seats and bumpers are done that takes > having an eye for that stuff ..anyway have fun because weathering modelcars for me is the most fun build wise ...

Crazy Richard those words coming from you having seen some of your work means a lot. That merc you're doing and the old rat rods are amazing and it's work like yours that makes me strive to become good at this newly found obsession. Thank to everyone for all the kind words.

Well tonight I laid down my first primer coat aka base coat. Going to give the salt method a whirl.

post-13414-0-28593000-1392622777_thumb.j

Did a light dusting after sanding

post-13414-0-84599500-1392622833_thumb.j

So far it's laying down nice

post-13414-0-07041500-1392622894_thumb.j

After 3 light coats things are looking good. I see a couple areas that require attention that I missed during clean up like the a pillar divot in the plastic

post-13414-0-47735800-1392623021_thumb.j

Again I'm happy with the results so far. Hope the top coat and the salt method works out this nicely

Well tonight I laid down my first primer coat aka base coat. Going to give the salt method a whirl.

Again I'm happy with the results so far. Hope the top coat and the salt method works out this nicely

Looking good brother. the salting method is a great way to show wear and tear on a model. if you have pastel chaulk i can show another method of making realistic looking rust using salt water. i have another tutorial i will be finishing up and then i will get to work on the salt water rust if interested

Looking good brother. the salting method is a great way to show wear and tear on a model. if you have pastel chaulk i can show another method of making realistic looking rust using salt water. i have another tutorial i will be finishing up and then i will get to work on the salt water rust if interested

Thanks man. I would love to see your tutorial. I'm hoping to get some chalk this weekend. But I will keep my eyes peeled for any weathering technique I can learn from.

Well I think I'm pretty much ready to add salt. Don't have an airbrush yet so it's all rattle can. Hoping I don't get over excited and lay down too much salt and top coat. We'll see how it goes from here. So far I'm still happy with it. After I lay the salt I will start working on rest of interior. Wish me luck.

post-13414-0-56374000-1392764070_thumb.j

post-13414-0-51757800-1392764090_thumb.j

post-13414-0-07319400-1392764115_thumb.j

These were before I sanded the hood. I'm happy with how the seems on the hood look. What do you think?

Well salt dried. Top coat laid. Now I'm lost. LoL don't know what to do next. Having done body work for the better part of 7 years it was a nauseating feeling painting over that salt. Ok well I guess I let this dry. Since I'm using rattle cans I guess after a day or so I will soak this in warm water to help dissolve salt then brush and sand as per Dr. Cranky video. Let me know what you think.

post-13414-0-62361800-1392771731_thumb.j

post-13414-0-73083700-1392771760_thumb.j

post-13414-0-82035800-1392771779_thumb.j

post-13414-0-84181100-1392771796_thumb.j

post-13414-0-21279800-1392771817_thumb.j

post-13414-0-74117100-1392771834_thumb.j

post-13414-0-48371500-1392771850_thumb.j

As I'm a very impatient man I had to rush the process a bit. Baked the body to cure the paint and started beating it up to remove the salt. For my first time I couldn't be happier with the results. I'm hoping to get some chalk and some sort of rusting agent to add more detail but this is what I have so far... Please give me honest opinions.

post-13414-0-17641500-1392776691_thumb.j

post-13414-0-01512000-1392776740_thumb.j

post-13414-0-94762700-1392776758_thumb.j

post-13414-0-28069000-1392776778_thumb.j

post-13414-0-58519600-1392776846_thumb.j

post-13414-0-30924100-1392776879_thumb.j

post-13414-0-08100200-1392776913_thumb.j

post-13414-0-81796700-1392776947_thumb.j

post-13414-0-94494800-1392776982_thumb.j

thats lookin good! salt works great, i use it all the time.......so does hairspray, and believe it or not......silly putty!

i usually just rub the salt off with a soft brush and some warm water right after the paint has "flashed" it will give it that "peeling" look, there will be actual flakes of paint barely hangin on.....but im impatient, LOL

keep up the good work, youre doing great!

cheers

bryan