Model Cars Magazine Forum

Two Lane Blacktop 1955 Chevy Replica

Camaro68396

Hey guys! Just joined and thought I would post my current project...a Two Lane Blacktop 1955 Chevy Replica! I'm not trying to do a full on replica with the forward swinging hood and weathered paint. I'll just do what I can with what I have. I started out with a plain jane 1970's Monogram 1955 Chevy Street Machine that I bought on eBay for only $13.00. Sorry about the pictures being sideways, didn't know that would happen...I take pictures on my iPod.

post-13928-0-77872700-1400097690_thumb.j

I got started with the interior and added a tach to the dash.

post-13928-0-04473900-1400097790_thumb.j

Then I completed the interior and added a custom 4 point roll bar. Probably the coolest thing I've done to a model...then again, this is only my second one.

post-13928-0-51793600-1400098088_thumb.j

On to the front suspension!

post-13928-0-58892800-1400098253_thumb.j

Now she's painted in primer...for the primer. I filed away at the posts between the rear window and side windows. Also filed away the side trim on both sides. Also ordered a Hood scoop, American Racing S-200 "Daisy" Mags, and a Tunnel Ram intake manifold for it 454.

post-13928-0-04069800-1400098461_thumb.j

I added the door post to make into a Chevy 210, instead of the Bel Air it was.

post-13928-0-27248700-1400101228_thumb.j

Now she's in her rightful color...Hot Rod Primer Gray. Sorry, my iPod takes really crappy photos.

post-13928-0-87737300-1400098892_thumb.j

post-13928-0-24225800-1400098917_thumb.j

post-13928-0-27010800-1400098988_thumb.j

Daisy Mags arrived!

post-13928-0-18679700-1400099307_thumb.j

Custom License Plate!

post-13928-0-20392400-1400099359_thumb.j

TO BE CONTINUED...

Edited by Camaro68396

Good start. I take pics on my I phone and they load sideways. Here is what I do. In the photo album on phone. Click on pic you want. Hit edit. Left lower corner is the spin photo button. Hit 3 times. Then save. Then hit edit again and lower spin button once then save. Then pic should be back where it was originally. Then I upload here and it's normal. It's funky but it works for me. Lol

Hey guys! Just joined and thought I would post my current project...a Two Lane Blacktop 1955 Chevy Replica! I'm not trying to do a full on replica with the forward swinging hood and weathered paint. I'll just do what I can with what I have. I started out with a plain jane 1970's Monogram 1955 Chevy Street Machine that I bought on eBay for only $13.00. Sorry about the pictures being sideways, didn't know that would happen...I take pictures on my iPod.

attachicon.gifIMG_6397.JPG

I have the SAME model...but I haven't started it yet. lol I'm really interested in seeing how yours turns out! Looks great so far. ;)

Did you know it's the same 55 used in American graffiti? The more you know.... Lol

There were actually 3 cars built for Two Lane Blacktop, one with a 454 (primary car), the other has a 427 (secondary car). The third car was essentially just a body shell, and was only used for interior shots. The primary car is the one seen in most exterior shots, and is still in the same condition as when the movie was shot. The secondary car was mainly used for the race scenes (it was supposedly the faster of the two), and is the one that got converted to the American Graffiti Falfa car. It is currently in New Jersey, and had been turned into a street machine before being restored back to the American Graffiti specs. The third car was also used in American Graffiti, as the crash car for the Paradise Road scene.

There were actually 3 cars built for Two Lane Blacktop, one with a 454 (primary car), the other has a 427 (secondary car). The third car was essentially just a body shell, and was only used for interior shots. The primary car is the one seen in most exterior shots, and is still in the same condition as when the movie was shot. The secondary car was mainly used for the race scenes (it was supposedly the faster of the two), and is the one that got converted to the American Graffiti Falfa car. It is currently in New Jersey, and had been turned into a street machine before being restored back to the American Graffiti specs. The third car was also used in American Graffiti, as the crash car for the Paradise Road scene.

Richard Ruth who built the TLB cars got 3 brand new crate engines from GM for the movie cars, two 454's and one 427 and it wasn't just any 427...it was a L88...that's why it was faster.

The 427 L88 together with the 427 ZL1 was the most powerful engines Chevrolet had at the time and they were in fact pure race engines, the compression ratio was 12.5:1 for the L88 and 12.0:1 for the ZL1 and they needed 103 octane RON racing fuel to perform as they should...both were rated 430 hp but were in fact over 500 hp in factory stock configuration.

As I have understood it there were two main cars in the TLB movie.

One for outside scenes and according to my references that car had the 427 L88 with Weiand tunnel ram, dual Holley's, 4-speed and Olds/Pontiac rear end with 4.88:1 gearing...and that car later got converted to the AG car.

And one for all interior scenes also called the "camera car" as it had lots of camera mounts all over the car, it was built exactly the same way as the first car but had one of the 454's, it also had a Weiand tunnel ram but was changed to a low regular intake manifold with one Holley to be more reliable and a "dummy" Holley carb mounted high up visible in the hood scoop from the inside. both cars were painted blue but was changed to grey primer for the movie.

Here is a pic of the dummy carb and engine in the camera car.

ebf164467520b2d4637e74ec6fb11d5b11e7f98b

Ruth also built one stunt car with the other of the 454's, it had an automatic and individual brakes for the rear end...it was never used in the TLB movie but was used as the camera car in the AG movie and was crashed at the Paradise Road race,

The "Camera Car" is still alive and has been restored to the TLB movie specs, and you can see it here together with lots and lots of useful information for both the TLB and AG 55's and facts for the TLB movie.

http://twolaneblacktop.yuku.com/directory#.U4AwGfl_tps

Edited by Force

Cool build. Thanks for the info guys. Not doubting anyone but when you see the crashed 55 in A/G it sure looks like a small block with single exhaust when it's rolled over.

Edited by w451973

Well the car after the crash when it burns was just a non running junk car borrowed from a local salvage yard, it was a hard top but with a piece of wood in the middle of the side windows to resemble a 2-door sedan and was returned to the salvage yard after the burning.
So the stunt car was just used for the crash scene but not the explosion and burning.

wow very useful movie infor I did not know...... ;) the more you know the better I love both movies American Graffiti and Two Lane Blacktop

there really is not point to Two lane except i guess to win the pink slip of warren Oats Shiney new GTO someone out there really should pick up at the end of that flick, and make some kind of flick to continue T L B there really was no plot no beginning no end, it could be feasable to make a sequel?

maybe i'm thinking too much :rolleyes: Its wishful thinking