Model Cars Magazine Forum

General Lee vs Bandits T/A

martinfan5

2 very nice builds, and same question???

Guys it's been a long running issue, both here & on SA. Apparently it's racist ( politically incorrect ) to show the Confederate Flag. Yes .. I know... Load of rubbish.

BTW... Nice duo Jonathan ??

He can't show the flag because... wait for it... They "Bandit"!!! Ha! General Lee speaking, they look great.

Wow, these really take me back to my redneck roots.

I think you used to much Solvaset on the roof decal and smudged it. ;)

Those aren't the kit wheels on the General, or are they?

I'm actually really excited about the upcoming new MPC snap General, I hope they used the same data as the AutoWorld 1/18 because it's very well done.

Edited by Brett Barrow

Great looking cars man, thats definitely inspires me for my general lee coming up.

And I hate that whole racist debate. Yea thats the souths flag, but we all stand as one now. And that flag stand for nothing now but a memory.

I plan to do a bandit trans am soon, or maybe a replica of my dads old trans am

I pixalated the flag because like it was said, people find it offensive and I know SA wont allow it to be posted, and I also post on other forums outside of the USA and, you never know who is going to be offended now a days, and its just model, not worth the drama over someone taking offense.

Brett, I got the wheels From a fellow club member, who got them and the decals I used from someone on FaceBook, the wheels where stripped of any chrome plating and where molded in the same color as the General Lee kits, so I dont know.....

As for decals themselves, they are not kit decals either, but ALPs printed I believe, and what you are seeing is from to much handling after being applied, I had some body work I needed to do after decals were applied from glue getting on the rear fender.

Here is a unedited view of the roof

IMG_4070_zpsd3dd60f8.jpg

IMG_4069_zps390a2c7c.jpg

IMG_4075_zpsf41ad64a.jpg

Edited by martinfan5

that's two sweet builds .......... and it's a model of a car that has a flag on it and that's the way it is ...... now you need to do what my buddy from Jersey did and build a General Meade with an American flag on the roof ....his turned out pretty cool .....

If they were orange they were probably from the Eckler Corvette, pretty sure it was orange at least once. I don't think they're the Dukes kit wheels. Too nice.

The smudge thing was just a joke about the pixelation. I couldn't tell.

Taking a real good look, the wheels look like they ARE in fact from the GL kit. I have built many of them & have stripped the chrome off them too. Once stripped the wheels are ( molded ) orange, same colour as the body etc.

IMG_4087_zps962429b6.jpg

These don't appear to be from the AMT/Ertl Eckler Corvette #8053 kit. Because those rims actually have the holes in the rims juts like the real ones. Thats why there the most accurate Vector rims IMO, unless some one has made some resin ones.

The wheels are from a General Lee kit, just not sure if they are from the old MPC or later AMT kit. And nice job on both builds Jonathan!!! Out of all of the General Lee stuff I've built I haven't done a Dodge Charger yet! LOL Might have to do one some time as I have lots of decals & wheels to build a lot of them!!!

About the rebel flag, over here in Germany theres often a discussion about showing a Swastika on a WW2 model, as some think it may be offensive to others. So, I don't really think theres a problem anywhere with the rebel flag.

I think if the real thing had a flag on it, whichever flag it happened to be, then the model should have the same one too.

The Bismarck had a big flag on it, the model should too. Anyway, sunk is sunk.

Michael