Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maskol

I posted this in the build section with my current build, but figured I'd share in case people wanted to give it a shot.

I've been using Maskol by Humbrol instead of taping up areas that might be sensitive to paint that hasn't cured all the way. I primed the engine pieces yesterday, painted them and assembled them today. Maskol really creates a great tape line without worrying about pulling up any of the paint. Here a few pics to show you what it looks like.

Engine primed and the transmissions covered in Maskol with a paint brush. It takes about 10-15 minutes to dry:

FullSizeRender1-vi.jpg

This is what it looks like after two coats of Chevy engine red acrylic. I peeled off the Maskol about 10 minutes after it was painted. Acrylics dry to the touch pretty fast, so that helps, but it peels off really easy and won't permanently stick :

FullSizeRender3-vi.jpg

Maskol peeled off:

FullSizeRender-vi.jpg

After letting the Chevy engine red dry for another ten minutes or so (20 minutes total), I painted Maskol on the entire motor, except the transmission and painted it with Model Master Metalizer aluminum and sealer, then let it dry for 10 minutes or so and then peeled the Maskol off:

FullSizeRender2-vi.jpg

A couple more pics of the separation lines using Maskol:

Maskol1-vi.jpg

Maskol2-vi.jpg

Anyhow, if you hate trying to mask off the engine and transmission, or other similar parts while painting them, Maskol is very easy to use and very effective at creating a very nice and clean line.

Tim

Microscale makes something VERY similar called Micro-Mask..... works much the same way..... BUT is made to be used in and around decals as well as Microscale makes Railroad decals, and plane stuff, and they use this to do a lot of odd stripping with paint in conjunction with decals! I've used it to do some old Santa Fe railroad engines many years ago, and it works pretty good! I have yet to use the same stuff on model cars however but I can't see why it be any different!

BTD,

The stuff I use is painted on with a brush and is thin, about the consistency of Milk.... NOT a gel, or syrup.... AND can be cut and peeled once dry, as it dries it thickens but is thin as milk in its liquid form....

Maskol is about the same. It can be cut as well.

Tim

Do Maskol and Micromask work with one coat? I have been using Parma liquid mask, and it works fine, but you have to use 3-4 coats, with the associated drying time. Kind of a pain. Also I hope there is a reasonable source for Maskol in the U.S. I did a quick search and found it on Amazon. $30 for a 28 ml bottle! :o (And no, that is not a typo!)

The Micro-Mask stuff works GREAT on flat or smooth surfaces, BUT may require a second coat in areas of A LOT of molded on detail to cover, but yes, normally one coat is what I have found on flat areas, 2 on irregular areas.....

$3.99 a 2 ounce bottle local to me!

Do Maskol and Micromask work with one coat? I have been using Parma liquid mask, and it works fine, but you have to use 3-4 coats, with the associated drying time. Kind of a pain. Also I hope there is a reasonable source for Maskol in the U.S. I did a quick search and found it on Amazon. $30 for a 28 ml bottle! :o (And no, that is not a typo!)

One coat is all I've ever used and it is fine. I've sprayed acrylic and lacquer over them as well with no issues.

I bought my bottle of Maskol from my local hobby shop for about $7.00, so if you can't find any, let me know and I will pick up a bottle and send it to you. I see you are in Virginia and I'm in D.C., so we aren't too far from each other.

Tim

Here is a seller... cheap, too.

http://www.megahobby.com/maskolrubbermaskingliquid28mlbottle.aspx

Tim

I've never used Maskol, but I've tried several other commercial products and none worked well for me. I found you can make a GREAT liquid mask out of Elmer's glue, water, a drop of dishwashing liquid, and perhaps some food coloring--it costs virtually nothing and works better than anything else I've ever tried.

I bought my bottle of Maskol from my local hobby shop for about $7.00, so if you can't find any, let me know and I will pick up a bottle and send it to you. I see you are in Virginia and I'm in D.C., so we aren't too far from each other.

Thanks Tim. You're right, I am not that far from D.C. Out of curiousity, what LHS are you using? I've been going to Frederick, MD and Winchester, VA.

Thanks Tim. You're right, I am not that far from D.C. Out of curiousity, what LHS are you using? I've been going to Frederick, MD and Winchester, VA.

I've got two really close to me in the Fairfax/Chantilly area. Piper Hobby and Hobby Hangar. I also go to Hobby Lobby is Leesburg.

Tim