Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dehydrator Q...

Hi everyone

Hey, I finally set up the dehydrator that I bought a few years back.

I often hear that for curing paint, it should be set at about 105º f

So I plugged it in, and set the food thermometer in the large coin sized hole in the center of the cover. About twenty minutes later when I checked on it, it was up to.... 148º ;) YIKES!

I want to cure the paint, not melt it! So what do I do? Drill a thousand + holes in the lid? Maybe I could just get the shotgun and blast the cover with birdshot? :P Seriously, I need to cure some primer. Should I vent the lid? Maybe the sides too? It has the stackable shelves. So far I have cut the 'floor' out of one ring only, I may need to cut a second ring from it's 'floor' to get enough clearance for the parts.

This one has no temp. adjustment. Hope someone can advise on this. Thanks.

-Jon-

cut all you want...and let more dirt in!!

What I did was to take a elec box and a dimmer switch, wire it into a receptacle and plugged my dehydrator in .I dropped my thermometer in and dialed down the voltage for 105 degrees. Once found I marked the position with a sharpie so I can always set it. If you know electricity this is a simple project...If you don't find someone that does...

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

Edited by MikeMc

Well, I showed 'hardware dude' the photo of the home-made voltage regulator to control the dehydrator:

DehydratorbyQ02-vi.jpg

And this is what he sold me:

DSC00005-vi.jpg

He explained how to wire it... BEFORE he got the rotating switch. :) So then he started over, but that threw me... I was in "D'uh?" mode from there on. :D

OK, I know the plug wire goes to the rotary switch, and from the switch to the plug. I also know I have to run a ground wire from everything, to the box.

Can someone look at the pic, and tell me how the cord (one each: green; white; and black wire) connects to the rotary switch (black wire exits from one side; black, and a green wire exits from the other side)?

He said the plug unit has colored screws; green; chrome; and gold.

Also, with electrical wiring in general, what does the color coding for green, white, and black stand for?

Thanks. Oh, BTW, all this cost more than my dehydrator did! B)

-Jon-

Jon, Black is - white is + the green is ground. The Dimmer should have a Silver screw, a GOLD screw,and a green screw. The white goes to the Silver screw, the Black to the GOLD screw, the ground to the green one. Now, the same layout for the PLUG. Do it the SAME way on the back of the plug recepticle. Get a outlet tester and make SURE you've got the wires wired properly. If you've gotten it WRONG, it'll pop a breaker, if not, it should be powering the plug recepticle. MAKE SURE to test it first with a tester,don't wanna get zapped! This is pretty basic wiring, and if your NOT comfortable with it, Take it to an electrician, cause these things have ALOT of juice goin thru them,that you DON'T want goin thru YOU! If ANY of you guys are Electricians, You might know a better way. We DON'T want to lose a Forum Brother because of an accident. I hope this made sense,and, like I said, if you doubt your ability to do this, PLEASE have a proffesional do it for you, as it will be carrying 110 volts in that rascal,More that enough to let you know you did SOMETHING wrong! Hope this helps. :D;)

Well, I showed 'hardware dude' the photo of the home-made voltage regulator to control the dehydrator:

DehydratorbyQ02-vi.jpg

And this is what he sold me:

DSC00005-vi.jpg

He explained how to wire it... BEFORE he got the rotating switch. :D So then he started over, but that threw me... I was in "D'uh?" mode from there on. :blink:

OK, I know the plug wire goes to the rotary switch, and from the switch to the plug. I also know I have to run a ground wire from everything, to the box.

Can someone look at the pic, and tell me how the cord (one each: green; white; and black wire) connects to the rotary switch (black wire exits from one side; black, and a green wire exits from the other side)?

He said the plug unit has colored screws; green; chrome; and gold.

Also, with electrical wiring in general, what does the color coding for green, white, and black stand for?

Thanks. Oh, BTW, all this cost more than my dehydrator did! ;)

-Jon-

Green or a bare copper wire is always a ground. Black and White are your neutral and hot wires. The switches should be marked so you can hook it all up.

Simply put The black is the HOT wire and you split it with the dimmer switch and it will regulate the voltage out

many dimmers just have 2 unmarked wires. White is neutral and bare or green is ground.

the white(chrome screw) and green wires go from the cord to the "outlet" then split the black wire and run it to the "outlet"(gold screw)

you need to use wire nuts and tape on the black wires.

Follow OSHA safety rules at all times and any advice given by me may not work!!!

Edited by MikeMc

The back of the rotary switch has NO screws- just three wires:

DSC00001-vi.jpg

The back of the two outlet has 5 screws- two gold, two silver, and one green, which I know is for ground.

Tell me how to wire the the three wires on the rotary switch, and I think I can get it!

Thanks, -Jon-

The back of the rotary switch has NO screws- just three wires:

DSC00001-vi.jpg

The back of the two outlet has 5 screws- two gold, two silver, and one green, which I know is for ground.

Tell me how to wire the the three wires on the rotary switch, and I think I can get it!

Thanks, -Jon-

White wire goes to outlet. Black wire goes to one side of dimmer. Take black wire from dimmer to other side of outlet. Greens ground so they just have to match up somewhere.