Model Cars Magazine Forum

Coat hanger paint stand

I was asked "How do you set up a coat hanger so that it don't drop the car?"

Well this is how I do it.

1- Find one (1) coat hanger -wire type.

P1020547-vi.jpg

2- Bend the hanger in half.

P1020548-vi.jpg

3- What I do is I bend a Z bend at the one end.

P1020549-vi.jpg

4- On the other end I bend down 90 degrees.

P1020550-vi.jpg

This will be the end that helps hold the tension, and you adjust it here.

You can adjust for a narrow body.

P1020551-vi.jpg

Or for a wider body

P1020552-vi.jpg

Here the hanger is holding a 63 Bonneville Body

P1020553-vi.jpg

Here the body is hung with the hanger from the light fixture. It can also hang from a door frame, or where ever you want to put it.

P1020554-vi.jpg

Try it, it works , and the more you use it the easier it'll be to adjust to the body to be painted.

i have one of these set-up's too that's going on over 20 years old easy! made it up a really long time ago to spray paint bodies on from a coat hanger and a piece of 2x4. the "wire" has gotten quite thick over the years :lol:

Dave

Mine is over 18yrs old for sure.

Ya can see the wee bit of paint build up towards the top :lol:

It has served me well and still is. :D

Edited by Zukiholic

Besides metal hangers, I've also used heavy gauge electrical wire bent to shape. I use the wire to tape smaller parts to for painting. A trick I learned is to latch onto the hanger or wire and put a rag over my hand so the paint doesn't get all over my hand.

Last year I bought one of those Tamiya stands and love it. I kept the hangers though.

here is a pic of my very well used "coat hanger and 2x4" paint stand. i think i made this when i was 13 or 14 years old and have always had it. every few years i do clean off the wood block, but i've never cleaned the wire. this has faithfully served me through almost all of my model building years. i would really like one of the Tamiya stands. Rodney's looks like a nice homemade version of that style, good job man!

Picture005-2.jpg

Dave

is that adjustable with the plastic hangers?

Mike, that's not a plastic hanger, that's a wire one! that's how much paint is built up on the thin wire :unsure:

Dave

heheh .. I was originally going to say "or is that just all the paint on it?" as a joke! :D;) That has expanded in size quite a bit!

Hey B67, I like your design better than mine, which is similar.

Mvc022s-vi.jpg

64COMETCALIENTEPAINTRESULTS004-vi.jpg

With my stand, I need to tape the body to the wire with masking tape. I cut off the tip of the "hook", and spread the two sides like they were feet. Then I use a small Vise-Grip to form a tripod.

64COMETCALIENTEPAINTRESULTS001-vi.jpg

mine is crude but functional. When I find another wire hanger, I will make one like yours! But... do they still make wire hangers?

• 1 month later...