Model Cars Magazine Forum

'60 Chevy, My JWAC Build

Tony T

Okay, here's the artwork I drew for the Jairus Watson Artwork Challenge:

60Chevfin.jpg

And here it is on the bench, test mock up for ride height, with Sidewinder wheels (from Ken-Thanks Ken!)

60Chevybuild.jpg

Going to have to cut wheel wells and shorten axles to get it lower...hmmm...:D

Here's the kit:

60Chevy001.jpg

Edited by Tony T

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Jairus, I'm glad you like it!

I also kind of like the rake like that, but I'll look at it closer and decide on my interpretation! The drawing looks good low, which I like and I'll try a few ideas I have to see if I can get closer to the drawing (tubbing, and shortening axles, different chassis). The wheels really make it. Amazingly, the wheels snapped on the kit axles as they are now! Sweet!

Spent some quality time at the workbench this evening. Mocked up the suspension, and then set about getting this as low as I can get it to go...

First off, cut out the rear wheel wells, and the '59 spare tire well.

2010-05-04-60Chevybuild001.jpg

2010-05-04-60Chevybuild002.jpg

Tried that out...not quite low enough.

2010-05-04-60Chevybuild003.jpg

A bit more work (grinding inside the quarter panels (started getting thin!), shortened the inner hubs in the rear wheels, and she set down low and level.

2010-05-04-60Chevybuild007.jpg

60Chevfin.jpg

That's better.:)

The rear wheels are sitting square, instead of slanted in at the top (like a VW Beetle!). That's as low as I can get it, using the kit chassis and suspension, without cutting the top third off the rear tires! I'm happy

Next is to rob some disc brakes from a Viper or a Silverado - just depends on what is going to fit...or maybe I'll find another set of brakes...:D

Edited by Tony T

So, I finished the wheels, fit a set of Revell Viper brakes. I put the rear fender wheels back in with a spacer, filled the '59 spare well, and added the raised stampings, and replaced the grille. To do that, I cut out the kit grille with the Dremel, and added a Revell '69 Baldwin Camaro grille that I thinned out from the back, and fit it to the opening on the '60. I like it, and since it isn't seen in the artwork, I wanted to do something that was unique, and was also from GM or Chevrolet. Enjoy!

'69 Camaro grille in place.

2010-05-10-60Chevybuild001.jpg

Viper brakes fitted

2010-05-10-60Chevybuild003.jpg

Fenderwells back in

2010-05-10-60Chevybuild009.jpg

Floor stampings simulated where '59 spare tire well was cut out

2010-05-10-60Chevybuild011.jpg

2010-05-10-60Chevybuild012.jpg

• 1 month later...

Quick update - will take some pics later - have done a bit of work on this - interior is coming along, chassis is painted, engine done, rear of exhaust formed in solder-from small rear mufflers back (rear suspension is too low to run them under the axle, and interfered with the rear wheels, too!). Got a coat of primer on the body after filling the trunk lock, and white paint on the roof. Still need to get some aluminum tubing to form the exhaust outlets, found a small moulding flaw in the body in the right rear corner below the fin that will need some fill before a coat of paint on the lower body.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some pics of my update on this build...I've been busy, and kept forgetting to bring my camera down to the workshop...

Anyways...exhaust is done-solder for the rear half, as there wasn't room for the stock exhaust to go under the rear axle - it's now too low!! I also added a couple of pieces of aluminum tubing for the tailpipes.

Engine is in, and the interior is coming along.

Paint on the body (Krylon white, and burgundy), and decided on putting the original Impala emblem in the centre of the '69 Camaro grille.

Here's the pictures. Enjoy!

Exhaust and chassis

2010-06-26-60Chevybuild016.jpg

Engine and interior

2010-06-26-60Chevybuild018.jpg

Body in paint

2010-06-26-60Chevybuild019.jpg

2010-06-26-60Chevybuild021.jpg

Grille (just 'air-glued' in place)

2010-06-26-60Chevybuild020.jpg

Cheers! :)

• 7 months later...

I finally got a build or two out of the way, and got this back to the workbench recently...did some work the other evening...

Models2011-02-24005.jpg

Models2011-02-24006.jpg

Models2011-02-24007.jpg

Models2011-02-24008.jpg

Today I got the body, interior and chassis stuck together, and the grille and taillights into place...into the home stretch!

Bumpers, wipers...and to find a pair of black plates-might have to make some...is about all that is left, then to take the final pictures!! :lol: