Model Cars Magazine Forum

Service life of BMF?

I'd like to know how long it lasts on the model without clear overcoats. Any builders have it on five or ten year-old models and how is it holding up? Does it lift or curl given average home display conditions?

I realize it would not be the 'new and improved' BMF-that would only be a one or two year span. Any input appreciated.

As long as you keep the models clean, in a relatively temperature/climate controled environment, you should be fine. Don't clear over them with enamel- it will yellow over time and tint the BMF underneath it, as well. I've seen models built in the early '80's, and the BMF still looks good on them.

I started using it in 1981. Once applied it doesn't fall off. Polish it with the same stuff you polish paint if it ever gets dull/tarnished. It is a myth that it needs to be clearcoated to seal it. It might make it more durable if the builder is going to manhandle the model after it is built, and it might be good to foil before clear if you use a urethane clear, which has a far thicker film than other clear and often fills in along edges and panel lines a lot more than other types of paint.

I had no idea it's been on the market that long! That's a great track record.

I have no intentions to clear it so no worries. I'm using it on a non-model project but it is going on .020" styrene. It's a gift and I don't want to know it de-laminated from the parts in a couple of years.

Your advice appreciated, thanks.