Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scalecoat 2 Wash Away Paint Remover

has anyone ever used this stuff before? Due to it's high price I've only used it to strip chrome plated parts quickly. Lately I've been trying to strip the paint off of a Charger FC body using Easy Off and CSC. neither worked. The paint didn't budge. I submerged the body into this stuff and the paint lifted off in less than 30 minutes. Not a spec of paint or primer to be seen anywhere.

There are no ingredients on the bottle, nor can I find them on the web site. Does anyone know what this stuff is made of?

I have 2 bottles, but both are old. I have good luck with it, but I have no idea what it has for active ingredients. When I am done, I pour it back in the bottle through a coffee filter that I clothspin to a funnel. One of my 2 bottles has cracked from age, although over time and use the quantity has diminished. Now have less than a bottle left.

I tried googling it. I found a bunch of places that sell it, including the manufacturer (Weaver). But the ingredients aren't listed anywhere.

I wonder how they are able to sell and / or market that? Are't chemicals required to offer a MSDS listing (Material Safety Data Sheet, iirc)?

Yes, I also have been using Scalecoat as a paint remover for years and the stuff is great. I've left a body submerged for a month (inadvertently) and it did not affect the plastic at all. I also keep mine (2 bottles worth) in a tupperware like container. My LHS carries it here. Yeah it is a bit pricey but to me it's well worth it considering that it removes enamel & lacquer paints very efficiently.

I wonder how they are able to sell and / or market that? Are't chemicals required to offer a MSDS listing (Material Safety Data Sheet, iirc)?

The company manufacturing the Wash Away for Weaver has to have one.

If weaver/scalecoat is simply selling it to the consumer, it's not required for them to post one.

There should be an MSDS, but it may be under a totally different name and manufacturer .. or it could even be a different known product rebottled and rebranded

There is no listing for this specific brand in the MSDS database... and no ingredient list or warnings ?..kind of naughty since they are shipping this across state lines and possibly by air !

there has to be some form of documentation to do that..it is a paint stripper after all... :huh: .....hopefully that has been covered by now.

sounds like a great product, I'm sure it's legit

Edited by scalenut

I haven't tried scalecoat paint remover before but I sure am convinced that it works well.

I'll check my LHS tomorrow and see if they carry it. If they do, they must list the ingredients by law here in the great white north. I understand it is very difficult to get any item like this into Canada unless the ingredients are listed.

The paint was probably lacquer and would have stripped with 91% alcohol which is allot cheaper. Rule of thumb for laquers(including Tamiya and Testors and Duplicolor) use 91% Alcohol, for all else use Oven cleaner or CSC.

No, it wasn't lacquer, it was Testors Enamel

I went to pickup another bottle at my LHS, and he was out. So i decided to try Pine Sol...I've read that this also does wonders when it comes to stripping paint. I tried it on a body that was painted and clear coated 4 months ago using Testors enamel. In 30 minutes the paint started to bubble and wrinkle, in 2-3 hours 90% of the paint was either floating suspended, still partly attached to the body or sitting at the bottom of the tub. Works great...smells nice too!

Edited by Evil Appetite

For anyone who is going to try Pine Sol..if the body was primed before paint..then as I said the paint comes off no problem. The primer comes off with little effort. If you haven't primed though, you may end up with a big mess as I did. The paint did react, but scrubbing it with my toothbrush was a nightmare. All I did was move the paint around the un-primed plastic.

I thought I would try a LHS that sells model railway stuff and although they carry Scalecoat paints they did not have the paint remover.

I guess I will stick to the Easy Off.

Keep an eye out for it when you're browsing the shops. Could be that they sell it as fast as it comes in..my LHS does.If they sell the paints and you're really interested, ask'em to order a couple of bottles. 2 should be enough to submerge a body in a small dollar store container.

Keep an eye out for it when you're browsing the shops. Could be that they sell it as fast as it comes in..my LHS does.If they sell the paints and you're really interested, ask'em to order a couple of bottles. 2 should be enough to submerge a body in a small dollar store container.

I was going to ask today but the owner was busy on the phone when I was leaving. I would like to try it because I hate the caustic nature of Easy-Off. Regardless of how much I protect my hands I always seem to get some on my skin. It really dries the skin out instantly. Can't be good.

My other addiction is Model Railroading and I have used Scalecoat paints. I never noticed the paint remover but then again I wasn't looking for it.