Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jim Keeler Dodge Fever tribute: the "Kim-Jee Ler Stude Flew" (links/photos fixed 4/24/20)

Russell C

Since ol' Jim Keeler has popped out of the woodwork, I thought I'd drop in a few pics of a tribute model I sorta did to mess with his mind at the 2005 Greater Salt Lake contest. Jim is a legendary figure in the model car industry, with his famous Dodge Fever models being among his many claims to fame - photo link for his Dodge Fever 1 here.

Long story really short, the GSL contest has long had a special "Group" category where Mark Gustavson and his associate contest organizers choose a particular model in advance and builders are restricted to building that vehicle as though it was 20 years ago. In 2005, I had already built up a minor reputation for a running gag of models for that category that were always yellow 3 wheelers*, usually blaming their design shortcomings on a fictional guy named Gus Marktavson, while referring to other dyslexic misspellings of folks at the contest. With the "Group 5" model being the AMT '53 Studebaker Starliner, I was at first stumped on what to do with it, but when I ran across Jim's yellow Dodge Fever, it all fell into place. Designed by Marktavson and some mysterious Korean fellow named Kim-Jee Ler, with its driver being "Hoggy" Iscano. And what a perfect excuse to have that AMT kit's twin blowers sticking out the sides of the car.

1437831909_3wheelStude1.JPG.cddaa487e1a1bc2858a4af33e31d89eb.JPG

1931841842_3wheelStude2.JPG.dcedf95bc30116e6ea406099bf9050c9.JPG

1902978004_3wheelStude3.JPG.846f17f7b3f56b9fbaaed49ca66cae4c.JPG

Here's a photo link for the lineup of the other Group 5 Studebakers.

318076220_Studecollection.JPG.6b3206ac697a4a96abcfeac97031c077.JPG

This particular class is unusual for being a popular choice aware, and despite the other models being better than mine, the humor of it must have carried it to its 2nd place award. Precious to me was the standing ovation Jim gave it at the awards brunch when it was announced, an honor I'll always cherish.

1062571360_Group5StudeGSLofficialphoto.jpg.3262770d87556ac77a17180981deb7fc.jpg

* (I later became a lampooning victim of this myself, when "Hollywood" Fernandez pointed to my 3-wheel mayhem at the next contest in 2007, speculating on what became of all those '4th wheels.'

918483872_3wheelhistory.jpg.fad8665b6f5983ccda811968384a9a92.jpg

He came up with his own answer that was his entry in the category  -  have a look at his photo gallery of his truck here. Yep, this hobby is full of nutcases, but that's a whole other story. Btw, my Group 7 backwards '40 Ford pickup lampooned Ken Hamilton's Bonneville suicide bike seen in Scale Auto's August 1990 coverage of GSL.)

1248144108_40Fordsuicidebike.JPG.ff4e1778a10d863099ad0591104fe472.JPG

Edited by Russell C
fixed busted links
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks gents. To avoid any potential confusion, I added a line in my first paragraph above to note that the top photo is mine of Jim's original Dodge model, taken at the International Model Car Museum during the 2005 GSL contest.***   Senility being what it is, I had to rummage through my photos to make doubly sure it was one I took, as opposed to the ones I gleaned off the internet as reference photos when I was building my Stude tribute.

Regrettably, when I donated the Stude to the Museum to go alongside several of my other 3-wheelers I'd already donated, it got misplaced. It's there somewhere still, I hope.

I'll be at the Desert Scale Classic, but my weekend obligation to take care of my elderly parents prevents me from staying long, an hour or two at most.

*** 4/24/20 Edit - put in a photo link instead of Jim Keeler's original Dodge Fever, from the official GSL web page collection. My "Stude Flew" model was found, and is on display at the museum.

Edited by Russell C
line clarification

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...