Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where Do You Work And Paint?

Crispy you stole my Spray Booth and Dehydrator(LOL) By the way for the Paasche Spray Booth get rid of the filter it comes with and tape the cheap 20" by 20" Furnace Filters over the vent. You will get better airflow. I buy them at Wal-Mart for less than 3 bucks for 4. Both the booth and the dehydrator are the best investments I ever made for building models.

Dale, Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try it out. I bought 2 cases of filters before our hobby shop closed so I got a good deal. I'm on my last case now. Should last the rest of this year, but I'll pick up a 20x20 and play with it.

Dale, do you line your booth with anything? I use wax paper but have been thinking of trying out that press and seal. The wax paper is much cheaper alternative though.

Stanley, I keep an eye out for them on HLJ.com. Aoshima and Fujimi usually release 2-4 different types a couple times a year. Gotta buy them when they come out or you'll miss out. The only guy I know that has more than me is Marc Nellis, he's the real wheel slut! I like to have options as the kit wheels leave a lot to be desired.

Chris

Wow, what a day to show my workspace, what a mess. This is about as messy as it gets. But it's almost this bad all the time :angry:

Modeldesk001-vi.jpg

As for my Spray booth, this is where I do most of my paintwork. Notice I prefer the side draft design, and I went for the deluxe model for the occasional large-scale build. :o

Spraybooth001-vi.jpg

I just picked this up a few months back, when you absolutely positively have to paint something right NOW!

Spraybooth002-vi.jpg

I need a maid... Wait a minuet, DON'T TOUCH THAT!

Jefbo

I work on a fold up card table in my room. It's not very glamorous, but, it gets the job done.

These are staged shots from March of 2006. Obviously, I cleaned the work area before I took them!! Usually it's covered in model parts from several different builds, tools, and what not. Here it was next to my window, now it's next to my bed. I no longer store kits on the back of the table, either. I store them on the floor next to me...easier to get into. I actually keep it a little different now, when I get it back set up I'll take another photo. I had taken it down to sort my 1/64 street car collection, and while the table is back set up, the full model work area is not. I've got to re-clean it to get all the little metal shavings off...

2006March15th002-vi.jpg

I do my spray painting in the back yard. It's the same now, only the Christmas lights are not up at the moment.

This photo is from 2004.

14052119-vi.jpg

Okay, you guys are nuckin futs!!!!

I thought I was bad spraying in the kitchen in a spray booth, but I regress....

Billy, you are crazy!

Jeff, that's a true spray booth!

I love seeing where guys build their models.

That's what it's all about: building!!!!

I remember the story of a build on the way to a show, a big show, and the model was built on the road, on the way to the show.

They rented a mini van, painted the body on I-70, west-bound, with the van's door open, doing the legal speed limit!!!!!

I know there are pics out there somewhere.........

I have run features on modeler's workshops before, I want to do more

I have a few favorite or "If I Could Do It Right" type of work areas that I keep in my hidden vault of encrypted bytes and bits, which I may share if you all behave yourselves!!!!!

One of my favorite giggles is an oral surgeon who uses the operating room as his photo studio!!!!!

A new thread??????

Time for moi moi

I've got the garage divided into work-type related areas . . . like this is where I build . . .

003-vi.jpg

And also where I do detailed airbrushing . . . but it is also where I share the space with my in-progress 8' x 12' HO layout . . . .

004-vi.jpg

And the side where I keep the non-toxic paints and some builds I am working on . . . my motorcycle also fits in there . . .

002-vi.jpg

Too many toys too little time!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Gregg, I've been saying I'm crazy for a long while now! LOL!!

The sad thing is...that photo from 04....I STILL have not finished that model yet!! Luckily I thought to caption when it was new what car I was painting! LOL!

Someday I should post about the time I was out painting and got chased by a squirrel :lol:

Dale, Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try it out. I bought 2 cases of filters before our hobby shop closed so I got a good deal. I'm on my last case now. Should last the rest of this year, but I'll pick up a 20x20 and play with it.

Dale, do you line your booth with anything? I use wax paper but have been thinking of trying out that press and seal. The wax paper is much cheaper alternative though.

Chris

I use Freezer Paper from the Grocery Store intended for wrapping meaats and stuff. One side is slick like wax paper.

My wife Betsy and I live in a 3 bedroom house. One extra bedroom is the guest room, the other is my model building and display room. My wife is a car nut, also her family. She scrubbed off her finger prints when young by sanding the spokes on a 1927 Chevy touring car, now in a collection in Italy. She doesn't mind at all if I display models around the house, but mostly they are in my studio. She has a jewelry making business and uses the front sun room for her studio, as well as the family room coffee table. Betsy also knits and the yarn is stowed in a copper boiler as well as several bags in the family room. She also sews and works with stained glass. After all this, you can see why she insisted I have my own hobby room to myself!