Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'uv'.
UV resin seemed so promising when I first started using it on projects around the house, less so in reality. I always kept in mind when using it for when I returned to modeling. Well, luckily, I've returned to modeling and I learned a fair amount about working within its limitations beforehand, which is what made this fix work. The main problem I've had with UVR is getting it to stick. What I found is that it likes a foundation of rough CA, rough anything really. The rough CA is accomplished by using baking soda as the CA accelerant. The soda gives it a sandpaper-like surface and makes it rock hard. The steps in this repair are: Basic cleaning Apply a thin layer of CA to only the broken edge and sprinkle it with baking soda. What you see in Pic 3 is the resin applied with the piece pressed firmly against the inside of a foil candy-wrapper (Cliff Bar in this case), just after it was irradiated to get the flat bottom. In Pic 4, you can see the excess UVR that crept between the plastic and foil, and also the bulge of UVR that was sanded into shape. The last pic is the finished product, already painted. My bad to skip photos of interim steps, but you get the idea. From start to finish in under a half hour. Important to know about this repair is that I did not have to handle the UVR gently. I sanded as usual, relying on its having a good bite on the CA+soda. Pic 1. The damage from decades ago. Pretty apparent I just tore the piece of the sprue and left part of it behind. Pic 2. After cleaning the edge, applied CA and sprinkled baking soda over it. Waiting only as long as it took me to find my can of air, I cleaned off the soda. Pic 3. Applied just enough UVR that I could sand it match its surroundings. It was kept pressed against the foil while lighted up with a small, low-power UV flashlight. Pic 4. The hardened UVR before sanding. Some crept under the piece between it and the foil, which leads me to believe it need filling in anyway. Pic 5. The finished product! Final Note: Remembering to apply a base of something rough, like CA+BS, makes UVR a whole lot more useful for a lot of fixes.