Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Hawg Chronicles

Ron Hamilton

A couple of years ago, I ran across a Johan '61 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham Built-up. It was unpainted, but was missing its fornt wheels, and one of the fins was broken off. I got it prettty cheap, and I figured that one day I will fix the car up to go with my '61 Lincoln Continental Sedan.

2005_0818gmatcarlisle20050046.jpg

Fast Forward to last year, I was at a model Meeting, and I was purchasing an old built-up from a good friend, when I told him about the '61 Cadillac I had, and asked him had he come across any '61 Cadillac Wheels and Tires in his extensive parts collection. I went into a box, and handed me a built up '61 Cadillac, that was crudely painted, and missing one of its wheels. He gave it to me as a gift. Both of its fins were broken, but other than that it was all there. Last month I came across a rathe sad looking '61 Cadillac Promo, that was warped, but it had an intact fin, and a set of wheelcovers. About a week ago, I stripped the painted Cadillac, and fixed the fins with sheet styrene, using the promo as the pattern, and pirated the wheels and tires from it. I also fixed the fin on the unpainted one, that also had holes punched in it for mirrors and spotlights, that I filled in. I put both of them up on wheels for now until I primer and paint them. One of them will be Black, with a Beige or Gray contrasting interior, and the other will be another '61 Cadillac Color Combination.

MAMA%20Meeting%203%2021%202015%20023_zps

MAMA%20Meeting%203%2021%202015%20024_zps

MAMA%20Meeting%203%2021%202015%20025_zps

MAMA%20Meeting%203%2021%202015%20026_zps

Since I was able to get 2 sets of wheels and tires, they can both be done as Replica Stock Cars. I have a lot of painting to do one it gets warm.

Pretty neat stuff Ron! I've had several opportunities over the past few years to pick up one of these '61-'62 Caddies, but have just never been able to pull the trigger on one. I just don't get into 4 door cars. I so wish that Johan would have done all of these 4 doors in 2 door versions. The '61 Cadillac is one of my favorite cars, as well as the '61 Oldsmobile, which I've also thought about a number of times. I've got a '61 & '62 Olds in my "watch" list on ebay right now, but I'm pretty confident I won't bid on one. I just can't get past that "dumpy" roof line. The Cadillacs are better & I actually like the Lincolns, (nice example you have there by the way) but the Olds I just can't get into.

Steve

Nice work. What colors are you planning for them?

One of them is going to be Black, and the other will probably be a light , metallic color for a contrast. I was going to do one of them with a set of 20's, but I was able to get 2 sets of wheels, so I am going to do them as Replica Stocks I guess, but I do have another '61 Lincoln Continental Sedan, thatI am going to go the 20" route on, so who knows. It depends on my state of mind when it hits the bench.