Model Cars Magazine Forum

63 VW Baja bug.

jacoballardtattoo

No pics just yet but I am hoping to find any links to similar builds.

I will get pics and descriptions of my build posted as soon as I can but what I'm doing and hoping someone else has done is taking a stock 60s dub and coping and building into a replica of my first car (63 baja) I would love to see what others have done for the fenders, cowl, cage (front rear and side), exhaust, and finally! Lol lifting the suspension for the bigger tires.

I not asking for much only the world lol.

Very interesting!! I'm also currently working on a 63 Baja bug based on the Polar Lights snapkit (I have not made a thread about it on this foum yet) and you can find some pictures of it here: http://s6.photobucket.com/user/Atmobil/library/Bajabug?sort=3&page=1

So far I have only been working on the floorpan with front and rear suspension. The wheels that I'm going for consist of rims from the AMT Ford Econoline "Phantom" kit with front tires from AMT Jeep CJ7 snap kit (Goodyear Tracker A-T) and rear tires are the two-part plastic tires from AMT Meyers Manx buggy.

Engine is from the Polar Lights kit but I have modifed it and detailed it a bit with twincarb setup from the old Revell 68 bug kit. I have scratchbuilt IRS with with more suspensiontravel and modified the frontsuspension and also put on diskbrakes (from a Fujumi Mitsubishi kit in front and a Fujimi Suzuki kit in the rear).

Will make a thread about the build on this forum soon.

Okay keys see if the pics will load

Okay looks like they loaded. So I started to build a 60s baja and planned on more pics, but that didn't happen.

Finally here they are and maybe the pics will prompt more responses.

So I'm starting with a Revel 1960s bug kit I got from a family member. I think it'sa fairly old kit but not sure. It has some quality tooling fewer but apparent mold lines. I copied 3 of the four fenders so far and created duel exhaust for it so far. The exhaust kinda kicked me in the teeth for a bit but just got it down tonight.

Here's to the hopes of a great baja when I'm done. please leave comments, suggestions or criticism.

Thanks.

post-14997-0-82215600-1428214380_thumb.j

post-14997-0-35673300-1428214569_thumb.j

post-14997-0-90035900-1428214587_thumb.j

post-14997-0-21636100-1428214610_thumb.j

Edited by jacoballardtattoo

Looking sharp.I attempted one with the cal look bug kit.but that has the worst flash I've ever seen on a model and I binned the whole thing out of frustration...

I can definitely understand this one, I started an MPC 67 GTO kit that I have side lined for the same reason my plans there when I finish this one is to chop hack and mix that kit with other things I have to make worth the time I already invested.

Looking forward to your build Jacob, I've started this exact but doing a streets rod version from it. I May have questions, because fit and finish look rough.

Not sure how much help I can be but feel free to fire any questions my way and I will try my best to help. Have you started a thread on it? I would love to see what you have done.

Nice. I'll be watching this.

I'm doing a Volks Rod pick-up from a Revell Bug kit.

I'm very interested in seeing this one do you have a thread started?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had a chance for pictures and an update so here it is.

From top to bottom.

#1 & 2 sooner exhaust. This has been the biggest headache of the build. I first tried to create it from spare exhaust pieces that I was hearing and bending but could not get the bends right. The final exhaust was done with solder I had in garage. Work pretty good.

#3 is the hood and front end copied and shaped.

#4 just a side view.

Next step will probably be paint and assembly of the engine so I can shape the rear to fit right.

Let me know what you guys think, good bad or ugly.

post-14997-0-92588100-1429503443_thumb.j

post-14997-0-62161300-1429503473_thumb.j

post-14997-0-82676800-1429503494_thumb.j

post-14997-0-46444100-1429503521_thumb.j

No pictures yet but just finished up the engine tonight. I was planning on going full detail with plug wires throttle linkage the whole nine but found I not that skilled on this small of scale yet.

Pictures are delayed due to me breaking the singer tip and not having much luck tree gluing it. I will fought that again tomorrow and then hopefully snap some shots. Also I found the carb and single port intake tube in this kit won't work without all the shielding you remove with the back end on a Baja so I spent most the night creating a new tube and carb. Along with a not so realistic air box I hope I can hide in the body when I'm done.

So here's hoping I get some pics up tomorrow. Again thanks to everyone for all your comments.

Thanks Randy, I'm kinda proud of the exhaust, unfortunately I'm struggling with gluing the stinger tip back on after I broke it. I'm trying to glue solder to solder. Since it broke after I glued the exhaust to the motor I can't just fuse it together.

I do have rims and tires for the rear, I want tall and thin for the front so the rims I used in the rear won't work up front so I'm still digging through my parts box for the rear rims. I will be trying to post pics soon.

Thanks Miles I will most likely be doing just that for the exhaust.

Okay so it's not much but here are some pics of the engine. It's still rough and I will most likely be adding to it still but here we go.

To list what I have done to it as far as mods go.

Custom built exhaust (the stinger tip broke off and I still haven't fixed it yet)

Custom single port intake tube and carb.

Tried to shape the heads.

And a poorly done self built distributor. (I lost the one from the kit) I may pull this one off and try again.

post-14997-0-26778500-1429943963_thumb.j

post-14997-0-14885100-1429943987_thumb.j

post-14997-0-15279000-1429944011_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

Okay is been a bit but I have some updates.

First I felt the engine was pretty rough and just plain not good enough. So I tore it apart and re-did some of it.

On the engine, I completed the exhaust and painted it flat black.

Created a whole new duel port fuel intake manifold.

Replaced the old distributor with one that actually looks right.

And put on a real carburetor.

The next picture is the rear spring plates built from solder.

A couple tools to put in the back. (Torque wrench and combination wrench.)

A skateboard deck and some tires to throw in the back seat.

Rear rim and tire with paint scheme.

And the last picture is the workings of my Baja hood.

post-14997-0-67902000-1431495701_thumb.j

post-14997-0-32572000-1431495722_thumb.j

post-14997-0-22164700-1431495744_thumb.j

post-14997-0-82967600-1431495765_thumb.j

post-14997-0-19032800-1431495992_thumb.j

post-14997-0-07227300-1431496178_thumb.j

post-14997-0-07272100-1431496233_thumb.j