Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hi from the Great Lakes Area - Chicago Suburbs

Hi everyone.

I am returning to the model car hobby in my later years. As some I suspect, have enjoyed the hobby in their earlier years and then got caught up in the whirlwind of life and like me, put down the brush and x-acto blade.

I have started my return back to the hobby, but more so as a collector.

I would say that 98% of my purchases are for collection purposes and obviously as I seek out the older, vintage kits I enjoyed "back in the day."

But now is now and I just as well focus on the building of some current plastic...a variety of my likings and desires.

I know that my skill level is at a beginners level, but I can see and realize a lot of the modifications, tips and tricks used which will help me increase my own level of competence.

I have a few kits sitting on my workbench that I could use some suggestions, tips and resource on and I will list them in another part of the forum. Hopefully I can get some directions on my project ideas.

Hopefully at at a time later, I will be able to contribute as well.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum and back to building. I stress BUILDING, but I'm prejudice maybe .. I never saw a kit I didn't want to rip open and start scraping mold lines off the body! I'd give anything (well, not quite THAT much) for some of the kits I did back in 1958 when I began. I too took about 40 years off but now I'm back! :)

Welcome to the forum Charles as this is a great place to be. Perhaps you'd like to drive up to the Milwaukee area next Saturday for the Milwaukee NNL. Lots of model cars on display (700, 800. 900?), rock 'n roll music, raffle, club and mfg. displays also. Check in Contest & Shows.

Welcome Charles... :) As most of us here I am looking for some I had as a kid and ones that represent vehicles the family owned over the years. I am a 60s to mid 70s body style guy...even snaps...been building all my life and have what is left of my dads old collection I have been trying to restore once parts are found for them. Best advise anyone ever gave me is to treat every part as if it were a model itself...makes nice builds. :)

Welcome! I too have come back to the hobby after 20+ years away. I have noticed some things have changed.

1. The internet. Man, if I had access to all this information years ago! It has also opened up a huge avenue for kits and detail items. Before I was limited to my local hobby shop or mail order.

2. My eyes aren't what they used to be.

3. My hands aren't as steady as they used to be.

I look forward to seeing some of your work.